Author Topic: Reblochon and Choozit MY800  (Read 2558 times)

nmordo

Reblochon and Choozit MY800
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
I've just tried my first batch of Reblochon, following the Artisan Cheese Making at Home book's recipe.  It calls for Meso II, as do a few other recipes for Reblochon I've seen on this forum.  However, I've seen vendors selling Choozit MY800 which is listed as being for Reblochon specifically.  I haven't seen any recipes that incorporate it, and it's a thermophilic culture so I'm not sure if I can swap it in, and if so, whether to also keep the Meso II.

Anyone know of a recipe for Reblochon that uses the MY800 culture, or if I can swap it in?

Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: Reblochon and Choozit MY800
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:09:44 PM »
You can substitute and use in place of the typical MM/meso II. Please search the forum for past discussions of Streptococcus. It is not a real thermophile in the same way starter lactobacilli are.

nmordo

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Thanks Linuxboy -- that's helpful.  I had tried searching for MY800 on this forum but to no avail. I'll look into Streptococcus. 

In the meantime, I'm finishing up pressing my first batch, with the meso II, but am keen to try it again.  Will post pics...

nmordo

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
Okay so my first batch of "reblochons" are about three weeks old.  They smell VERY strong.  One of the two is showing much more prominent b. linens reddish color for some reason.  They are starting to ooze out the side, and in one spot the rind is flaking off a bit -- see below. Also, the rind is pretty dry -- not sticky.  I've been brining them with a 2% solution every other day.

I'm wondering if these are ready to eat, and am tempted to give it a shot, but curious for folks' input.  These were made in a 7" tomme mold, as I didn't have the proper 5" mold at the time, so they are relatively thin -- maybe 1.5 - 2".

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
I would definately cut one open, they may have actually gone beyond the ready point.  Probably still good but appear to be runny.  Perhaps too much humidity, and high temp.

Helen

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 04:06:09 PM »
Did you use geo during your make?