Author Topic: Making balls of Cheese... Edam  (Read 5084 times)

LadyLiberty

Making balls of Cheese... Edam
« on: February 01, 2009, 03:50:19 AM »
Just curious... how do they do that?  I've seen them, and it's usually Edam.  I have no idea how they do that.

Apparently they've been used as canon balls.  Sounds like muti-tasking with cheese.

Cheese Head

Re: Making balls of Cheese... Edam
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:27 PM »
I think they use a method called prilling like how ball bearings or small sulfur balls are made in the oil industry.

I once saw a Sulfur Prilling Tower at Gulf's Ram River Facility in Alberta Canada, basically it's a ~200 ft/70 m tower with a huge fan at bottom blowing air up and out the tower and at top a set of several shower nozzles extruding the liquid sulfur. As the drops slowly fall, they cool and solidify before landing at bottom where they are conveyor belted off.

OK, just kidding, I'm pretty sure they use molds somewhat like these but rounder.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »
I think they use a method called prilling like how ball bearings or small sulfur balls are made in the oil industry.

I once saw a Sulfur Prilling Tower at Gulf's Ram River Facility in Alberta Canada, basically it's a ~200 ft/70 m tower with a huge fan at bottom blowing air up and out the tower and at top a set of several shower nozzles extruding the liquid sulfur. As the drops slowly fall, they cool and solidify before landing at bottom where they are conveyor belted off.

er....  :o

OK, just kidding, I'm pretty sure they use molds somewhat like these but rounder.

ok... lol.  So those molds also "press"?

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 07:17:11 PM »
Yep, they are for pressing, I remember seeing a picture of them stacked 20 high in big presses, just can't remember that where I saw the picture.

Tea

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 08:58:41 PM »
I don't think that I have ever seen these cheese balls.  Ch you wouldn't have a pic of them in your files somewhere?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:47 PM »

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
L.L. was faster :D.

Another picture here, but still in cellophane retail packaging.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
Thankyou you pair, I was thinking more along the lines of bocconcini balls.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 07:17:14 AM »
It's all molds. I was thinking a while ago what kind of shapes could I make cheese into. Stars, round, rectangle, square and pyramid. I have some SS molds for cake making and they are pyramid. But I didn't care that much.

Tea

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:36:07 PM »
You can get the pyramid shaped cheese moulds, although they are traditional used for goats cheese.  Have been interested in trying one out, but worried that it is going to collapse when the mould is taken off. 
Cheesemaking.com has some nice heart shaped moulds for soft cheese, which look interesting.  Which reminds me, I have a heart shaped soap mould that I could use .... mmmmm

Offline Ginger

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 1
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »
They sell the round molds for a two pound ball for about $30 at www.servidorylusa.com

Cheese Head

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »
Tom, I checked their website and their Canadian one, still seems to be under construction and no prices, I assume you have to phone them for prices?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 01:13:37 AM »
I used a round ball this spring that I think is used to dispense swimming pool cleanner or clorine. Made out of a white PVC stuff. it worked pretty well. I found it in a clearence bin at the hardware store.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
As you have discovered already, the balls are made with molds and they are a nightmare to use.  You have to get exactly the right amount of curd in them, line everything up without binding or it comes out looking wrong....PITA.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 05:39:11 PM »
As you have discovered already, the balls are made with molds and they are a nightmare to use.  You have to get exactly the right amount of curd in them, line everything up without binding or it comes out looking wrong....PITA.

That is true of the small kadova molds too.  I was short a handful of curds for one last spring (okay I ate them) and it looked like a brain!  My son loved it.

Maybe I'll make some that way for halloween. Might make the kids laugh watching me eat a brain. hehehe