Author Topic: Rennet - Handling, Storage, Use, Coagulation Factors  (Read 4235 times)

Cheese Head

Rennet - Handling, Storage, Use, Coagulation Factors
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
This OP and is a follow on to a thread on Rennet additives started by Missy. It is a separate thread as it is a different subject, albeit still on rennet.

New Zealand Renco, makes only calf based rennet, not Mucor miehi microbial based "Vegetarian" rennet. And processes 1 million baby calf stomachs per year and that there is a shortage. Yuk.

But of interest is their webpage of info on rennet with sections on:
  • Rennet Action / Cheesemaking
  • Rennet Handling & Storage
  • Rennet Use & Factors Effecting Coagulation

It talks about Chlorine in water being a not good and very tough to get coagulation with high heat treated milk such as UHT (as several of us here have found.

The subdivision where we live has well water, and we have a filtration and reverse osmosis system, I need to read if that is getting rid of all the chlorine. Does anyone know or done any research on how to remove chlorine from water? I'm thinking stand water overnight to allow any chlorine to evaporate off or boil water thus accelerating chlorine evaporation?

wharris

Re: Rennet - Handling, Storage, Use, Coagulation Factors
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
I pick up a gallon of distilled water at the store every so often.  I use it for both rennet and annatto dilution.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »
Yes I think we (and I use the royal we here) came to the conclusion some time back, that as long as the water was boiled before use, then it was fine.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:04 PM »
Thanks, I was going to use some of our cheap WalMart bottled water but not after this article.

In future, I'll use some previously boiled water, but now cool water from the kettle.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:23:21 AM »
John, the way I look at it is even if you track down the information about your well water you never know if that person knows what they're talking about and for a $1 per gallon of distilled you might as well use it as one less thing to worry about.

As for getting rid of chlorine you used to be able to boil it and let it sit for 24-48 hours and it would dissipate on it's own but a lot of systmes now use Chloramine and it doesn't dissipate by letting it sit, so just use distilled.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »
Thanks Carter (& others), didn't know that, will update the Best Practices: Milk Additives tonight.