Author Topic: How To Wrap Soft Cheeses?  (Read 3606 times)

Cheese Head

How To Wrap Soft Cheeses?
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:24 AM »
I have a difficult time aging soft small cheeses long term as they tend to dry out, so I ordered cheese wrap papers posted here.

And, I just wrapped cheeses (my two Camembert #6) for my first time, pictures below.

I started with the least wrap areas first, the four sides and then finished with the most paper, the four corners, going with the two opposite corners and then the last two opposite corners, and finally turn the cheese over to rest ends side down to hold th paper from sprining back up. Frankly it didn't work out that great, at least not compared to store bought Camemberts, I can think of two reasons:
  • In store bought Camemberts, the cheese is stored inside a thin wooden or cardboard box, helpnig to squish the paper flat against al the side of the cheese.
  • The paper seems to me to be thicker than that used in manufactured Camemberts, maybe as it is two-ply and I don;t remember store bought ones being two-ply.

Any advice, tricks and traps appreciated for when I go to wrap my Limburgers . . .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:54:45 AM by Cheese Head/John »

Cheese Head

Re: How To Wrap Soft Cheeses?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »
Last Picture . . .

Likesspace

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:06:34 AM »
John,
That looks pretty much exactly like mine after wrapping.
Ummm.......
Not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but I do use a little scotch tape to seal the paper.
I figure it is never touching the cheese itself and it does make things easier when it's time to give them a turn.

Dave

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:10:12 AM »
Excellent post and Dave raises an excellent question.  First off John that is pretty much the same way I wrap mine. I do not however use tape.  The big question however is do you need to turn these cheeses after you wrap them?  I have not been and I'm not sure why... I just am not!

Dave, yes I'm stalling from trying that Limburger... soon... very soon...

Captain Caprine

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:03:36 AM »
Hi Guys,
I work mine around in a circle instead of side to side but I'm sure it will all work just fine and I still do flip my cheeses after they are wrapped.
CC

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:13 PM »
CC, I think I'll try your method next time as I'd probably get a tighter wrap around the outside. When you turn your wrapped cheeses, doesn't the plastic paper spring open or are you using thinner papers from a different supplier? Or are you making bigger cheeses and using bigger wraps?

BTW, using the name papers for theses items doesn't sound right to me as I think of common tree based papers. Wikipedia defines paper as a
thin material mainly used for writing upon, printing upon or packaging. It is produced by pressing together moist fibers, typically cellulose pulp derived from wood, rags or grasses, and drying them into flexible sheets.
These items are definitely not all fiber based, maybe a better name is sheets or wraps?

Captain Caprine

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
I'm sure we are using the same product.  I use a piece of scotch tape in the middle to hold it all together (sort of like the pin in the center of a pinwheel). 
CC

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:36:33 AM »
Good article, I see you got that manicure John. I haven't wrapped any yet but when I do I'll use a label instead of tape, just a suggestion.

Cheese Head

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »
Carter good idea!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:25:07 AM »
The label will say, "inside lies hard work and perspiration..literally, enjoy."