Author Topic: Humidity Once A Cheese Is Waxed?  (Read 4906 times)

LadyLiberty

Humidity Once A Cheese Is Waxed?
« on: February 01, 2009, 07:10:11 PM »
You don't have to worry about the humidity anymore, right?  We don't have our cave "set up" yet, but it's showing a temp of about 51 degrees, I was thinking about putting our waxed cheeses in it to make room in our smaller cave. 

What think you?

Tea

Re: Humidity Once A Cheese Is Waxed?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
I can see no reason that you can't move the waxed cheeses to a different place.  If the other area is colder than the cave, it usually just means that it will age a little slower than usual.  As long as they are turned regularly as usual they will be fine.
I am also getting into the habit of putting my waxed cheeses in the fridge to age, as I have so little room in my esky, and it seems to be working fine.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 04:04:10 AM »
LL, the wax keeps the moisture in so you don't have to worry about it, but you still want to maintain the correct temp for the cheese it is so you get optimal aging.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 04:21:07 AM »
LL, the wax keeps the moisture in so you don't have to worry about it, but you still want to maintain the correct temp for the cheese it is so you get optimal aging.

Glad you responded to this.  Our cave is currently at 52.6, the lowest it got that I've noticed since I put my remote thermometer in was 45.8.  That was earlier today.  Most of the day it's been at about 55 on average.  It's not ON... this is a freezer we are going to use as our cave.  Now, granted it's Feb 1st, but are we going to need to turn this on at all?  Will the natural insulation keep this at 55 degrees?

It's going to be shaded, but I doubt it's going to stay this cool in the summer.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »
No it will raise when the temp outside raises.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 11:20:16 AM »
I just noticed it's 40.7 degrees now.  Uh oh.  How do you keep one of these from getting TOO cold?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 05:36:13 PM »
Is it outside? If so find a place that stays a constant temp if you can or bring the freezer inside and when it warms up turn it on or is it not ready yet?

LadyLiberty

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
Is it outside? If so find a place that stays a constant temp if you can or bring the freezer inside and when it warms up turn it on or is it not ready yet?

1. it's not ready,
2. we have NO room for this anywhere in the house.  Right now it's on the deck.  That's where it has to stay.  :(

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 01:17:42 AM »
As long as it doesn't freeze or heat up you'll be ok in the mean time.

valereee

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 02:02:33 PM »
I put a heating pad into my fridge during the cold snap.  I plugged it into my Johnson Controller and set it for Heating Mode Cut-in at Setpoint, and it worked great, keeping my fridge at 55F even when it was in negative temps.

LadyLiberty

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
I put a heating pad into my fridge during the cold snap.  I plugged it into my Johnson Controller and set it for Heating Mode Cut-in at Setpoint, and it worked great, keeping my fridge at 55F even when it was in negative temps.

What kind do you have?  This sounds like a great idea!  How big is your cave?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »
Oh Snap!