Author Topic: American Milking Devon Heifers for sale  (Read 6831 times)

Juan Fries Widdat

American Milking Devon Heifers for sale
« on: January 30, 2012, 02:57:56 AM »
 Two 2010 registered Milking Devon heifers - open - could be bred this spring. $1500 each. Heritage breed is extinct in their native England.  Cows produce high butterfat milk (slightly less than Jerseys) well adapted to grass-fed management. "Beefier" topline than typical dairy animals. Steers make excellent beef and draft animals.
Three 2011 heifers - also registered. Just weaning now. $1100 each.
About the breed: American Livestock Breeds Conservancy http://albc-usa.org/cpl/milkingdevon.html

Delivery possible to Mid-Atlantic area at $3/mile.

PM me with your phone number if you are interested.

Juan Fries Widdat,
Kendy Sawyer
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:28:04 AM by Juan Fries Widdat »

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Re: American Milking Devon Heifers for sale
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »
If these are originally from the same stock as Red Devons and South Devons (still bred in the UK), then they tend towards beef cattle rather than milkers. What is their approximate yield per cow?

Juan Fries Widdat

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »

These are primarily from stock that was imported in 1620's to Plymouth Colony, now Massachusetts, USA. (Some imports were also made in the 1800's)  They were maintained as triple purpose animals. Around 1900 their production was equivalent to the then Jerseys and Guernseys in the US. Jersey production was then bred up for commercial dairying.

So, while they are from the same stock technically as Red and South Devons - things have changed in 400 years. This is why the Milking Devon is considered, by the American Livestock breeds Conservancy to be extinct in England. There are also Beef Devons, Ruby Red Devons and plain Devons - it's like Smith or Patel for cows ;)

In the 1950's most of the Devon owners in the US began breeding for beef (and polled cattle) - American Milking Devons are descended from the stock of the stubborn breeders that maintained the triple purpose. The breed was almost lost, bicentennial celebrations of US independence caused historical groups to look for authentic early American livestock - and the breed was saved. There are currently about 600 registered cows.

Milk yield varies with genetics, but also with nutrition. High butterfat milkers give less volume. I keep my calves on, and only feed grass and hay, and haven't milked regularly. As an average expect only about 2 gallons per day of 5-6% butterfat milk.

The girls do look chunky in their pictures - they have their winter coats on.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:11:52 PM by Juan Fries Widdat »

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
No, it wasn't a thumbs down, just curiosity. All the Devon varieties here in the UK are now bred for beef. Nice to have the further information about the milkers and their history in the US, though. I also wonder how genetically near the varieties are to the Aberdeen Angus (also red coated) that we get in Scotland. I know they can also be milked, though their yield isn't great.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:34:41 AM by fied »

Offline Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 40
    • CheeseForum.org
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »
Hi Juan, welcome.

Fled didn't give you the thumbs down sign beside your post, only a poster can choose the Message Icon beside their post, so you must have accidentally selected it. You can Modify your original post and change it if want.

We used to have a thumbs down button but it got abused so I removed it. Cheers and good luck with your sale!

MrsKK

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »
They sure are beautiful cattle.  I only have space for the two cows I currently have, or I'd be sorely tempted to make a trip to your part of the country!

You may want to post them in the Auction Barn section of the Keeping a Family Cow forum There are a few members there who own Milking Devons and speak very highly of them.

Good luck!

darius

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
I have a friend who raises Milking Devons. They don't sell milk although they keep a couple for home use, but their grass-fed beef is the best I've ever tasted.

I'm about 50-60 miles from you, and interested in seeing them, possible purchase.

Juan Fries Widdat

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:48:45 AM »
Darius - I sent you a PM -I think - holler if you don't get one.

MrsKK - Family Cow Forum is an excellent suggestion, thank you.

Fied and Webmaster - sorry, my bad. I need to work on being less sensitive. Forgive me?

I don't know how the heritage of the various breeds interlocks - with all the DNA work that's been done I'm sure someone has definitive answers. I know there used to be confusion because the same colors and color patterns show up independently - Dutch Belted and Galloway.