CHEESE TYPE BOARDS (for Cheese Lovers and Cheese Makers) > SECONDARY COAGULATION (Usually Recooked) - Primarily Whey Based

Dried Ricotta, so good!!

(1/4) > >>

caciocavallo:
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I have been on the board. I have something very GOOD to eat and thought I would share it with you all and I hope that it is something that no one has ever tried.

Well here it is. I like to make Caciocavallo cheese and when I do I use at least 200 liters of milk. So as you may guess there is quite a bit of whey left after the process which takes forever to make into Ricotta due to the high temp we must bring it up to. From all that ricotta that is produced I give a lot away to Friends and family since there is no way we can eat it all before it spoils. Now a friend of mine who does the same told me to "dry" the ricotta like when you make cheese from the curd. I have tried it (actually my mom did it from our last batch) and all she did was add some salt and some dried chilie and press it between her hands to get as much water out, then she let it dry in our cold room.

The result was an amazing "cheese" so creamy. (see the pics below) Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it for sale?

Cacio

smilingcalico:
Looks good.  I have had ricotta salata (sp?). I wouldn't describe what I had as creamy, though, more dry and crumbly.  Your cheese sounds delightful.

dthelmers:
For how long did you let it dry? I'm not a ricotta fan, but these look really good! Did the flavor develop more?

DeejayDebi:
salata squisito di riccta di amore di I con basilico salute!

smilingcalico:

--- Quote from: DeejayDebi on February 03, 2012, 02:42:10 AM ---salata squisito di riccta di amore di I con basilico salute!

--- End quote ---
yeah, what she said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version