Author Topic: Dried Ricotta, so good!!  (Read 17689 times)

caciocavallo

Dried Ricotta, so good!!
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:09:53 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since I have been on the board. I have something very GOOD to eat and thought I would share it with you all and I hope that it is something that no one has ever tried.

Well here it is. I like to make Caciocavallo cheese and when I do I use at least 200 liters of milk. So as you may guess there is quite a bit of whey left after the process which takes forever to make into Ricotta due to the high temp we must bring it up to. From all that ricotta that is produced I give a lot away to Friends and family since there is no way we can eat it all before it spoils. Now a friend of mine who does the same told me to "dry" the ricotta like when you make cheese from the curd. I have tried it (actually my mom did it from our last batch) and all she did was add some salt and some dried chilie and press it between her hands to get as much water out, then she let it dry in our cold room.

The result was an amazing "cheese" so creamy. (see the pics below) Has anyone ever heard of this or seen it for sale?

Cacio

smilingcalico

Re: Dried Ricotta, so good!!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:20:31 AM »
Looks good.  I have had ricotta salata (sp?). I wouldn't describe what I had as creamy, though, more dry and crumbly.  Your cheese sounds delightful.

dthelmers

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
For how long did you let it dry? I'm not a ricotta fan, but these look really good! Did the flavor develop more?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:42:10 AM »
salata squisito di riccta di amore di I con basilico salute!

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 05:53:44 AM »
yeah, what she said.

caciocavallo

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
For how long did you let it dry? I'm not a ricotta fan, but these look really good! Did the flavor develop more?

These dry withing 2 weeks. The main thing is to mix it up with salt and then squeeze out the left over whey. You can do it the day after you made the ricotta. We hang them in a net to dry in an area that is not to cold about 15deg cel. to start then in a cold room. The flavour will change the longer you keep them.

So far only compliments from friends that have treid them.

Cacio

Juan Fries Widdat

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:17:37 PM »
Thanks for a good, new (to me anyway) idea.
I've been looking for things to do with ricotta during it's short span in the fridge - one can only justify a certain number of cheese cakes, and lasagna isn't so popular after the second week!
I've noticed that hanging it just overnight helps flavor develop (my whey is usually from citric acid mozz with a lot of added lipase powder.)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:41:15 PM »
yeah, what she said.

I think I said" Excelent salata Riccotta I love it with basil - I salute you!" but sometimes my Italian and spanish get mixed.

ilvalleygal

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 04:42:49 PM »
oh yay! I have some mozz curds ripening now and a ton of whey for ricotta. I will try this later today. Thank you!

I've been freezing the ricotta and lasagna isn't all that popular in my house either. I also use ricotta in egg-based dishes (souffles, quiche, etc.) but even that gets old after awhile.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
oh yay! I have some mozz curds ripening now and a ton of whey for ricotta. I will try this later today. Thank you!

I've been freezing the ricotta and lasagna isn't all that popular in my house either. I also use ricotta in egg-based dishes (souffles, quiche, etc.) but even that gets old after awhile.

What no cannolis?   :P

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:01 PM »
This looks interesting! I'm just wondering how it gets creamy during the drying process?

caciocavallo

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 03:27:42 AM »
Sorry for the late response.

Nothing really special here. Simply put, the day after you have made you ricotta take it out of its container and mill it with some salt and any other ingredient you like. I usually use dried chilie pepper but you can use whatever you like. Once milled but press it in your hands and put back in a mold and keep it there for a day or 2 in you cold room, this will help it keep its shape. After that remove from the mold and keep aging it in you cold room until it has dried and can be cut with a knife. It will be very "buttery" and tasteful.

Enjoy,
Cacio

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:16:44 AM »
I think I may have done something similar.  I made brie and then made ricotta with the whey.  After pressing it into a mold, no real weight just forming it, I coated both side with dried Crimini Mushroom powder I had ground.  I stuck it into the cave to dry out a bit and got a great geo growth on it.  Going to give it a few more days and try it.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
Al, I want photos of that.  maybe you could post them on my Shitake Brie #2 thread?  Goes with the theme and offers other ideas.  Or share by starting another thread?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 04:11:45 PM »
Al, I want photos of that.  maybe you could post them on my Shitake Brie #2 thread?  Goes with the theme and offers other ideas.  Or share by starting another thread?

Your Shitake Brie is where I got the idea.  I didn't want to do an entire batch so I just used the ricotta I made from the whey.  I'll get a picture of it and post it for you.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos