Author Topic: The Weekends Production  (Read 4561 times)

rockie900

The Weekends Production
« on: February 01, 2009, 08:16:53 PM »
This last weekend I tried a few experiments (for me anyway) three new cheeses, all based around the cheeselinks farmhouse cheddar. From left to right I made a Red Leicester, a Heavy stout cheddar and a chives and pepper cheddar. i have them on the drying rack at the moment and will wax them in a few days.

Al

Tea

Re: The Weekends Production
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »
Wow Rockie that looks great.  How did you add the stout to the cheddar, or rather at what stage.  Have you noticed a different tecture to this cheese than the others?
What are you going to do now to age, wax or leave to rind?
Hope these age beautifully for you.

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
Al, glad to someone else make a stab at a cheese with beer. If you don't mind I would also like to hear your process. The more data and attempts the closer we can get to a successful outcome. Cudos on the nice cheeses there!

rockie900

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:40 PM »
Wow Rockie that looks great.  How did you add the stout to the cheddar, or rather at what stage.  Have you noticed a different tecture to this cheese than the others?
What are you going to do now to age, wax or leave to rind?
Hope these age beautifully for you.

Thanks Tea
Stout was added at the end of the cheddaring process, just before adding salt I broke the curds up and soaked at 36 degrees for half an hour.
I am going to waxall of them ad age them for a while aroud 6 months.

Al

rockie900

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:19:48 PM »
Oh I forgot just before pressing, while the curds are in the mould, I  poured all the excess stout drained off from the soaking through the curds hoping to get more flavour in there.
When it dries and just before waxing I will take another photo.

Al

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 04:48:36 AM »
Wow, those look good. I have to start adding spices and such to mine.

rockie900

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:33:59 AM »
Update

After only 12 hours of drying the stout cheese has changed colour dramatically, its starting to look good now.

Al

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 07:41:05 AM »
It's just like anatto where it looks pale yellow until the curds compress and dry then it's orange. Looking good.

chilipepper

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »
Looks good Al, In the name of research and development, I'm going to crack into mine at 1 month. I really want to see if we are going in the right direction here or if we need to do something different.  If it works out and the flavors, etc. seem to be in the right direction, I'll then start working on the optimum aging part of the equation.

Congratulations on a fine looking cheese!! Was your heavy stout a homebrew?

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 06:21:13 PM »
Great looking wheels, Rockie!
I'm impressed.

Dave

rockie900

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:11 PM »

Was your heavy stout a homebrew?

Yes but made by my father, he was kind enough to donate a bottle in exchange for cheese.

Al

chilipepper

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 07:51:54 PM »
uh oh... now the pressure is on to produce a good result. :)

Tea

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
That's usually what I do when introducing flavours into a cheese.  I usual scoop whey and curd into the moulds, then pour over the remaining whey so that all the goodies have seeped through the cheese.

Certainly hope this ages well for you.

Cheese Head

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 11:38:47 PM »
rockie900 / Al

Just noticed your post (don't often look in Cheddar Types Board), great looking cheeses, congrats ;D! My couple of quick questions:
  • From the pattern on the top it looks like you pressed in a mold rather than a hoop. Were you able to turn the cheese out and back into the mold without problem for second pressing and I assume you had a follower so the cheese has a flat bottom?
  • I'm also envious of your draining board, what and what type of store/where did you find it?

rockie900

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »
rockie900 / Al

Just noticed your post (don't often look in Cheddar Types Board), great looking cheeses, congrats ;D! My couple of quick questions:
  • From the pattern on the top it looks like you pressed in a mold rather than a hoop. Were you able to turn the cheese out and back into the mold without problem for second pressing and I assume you had a follower so the cheese has a flat bottom?
  • I'm also envious of your draining board, what and what type of store/where did you find it?

Well to answer question 1, I dont second press my basket/mold is http://98.129.114.78/Cheese-Baskets-and-Hoops/Cheese-Basket-P00653-p88.html my follower is another basket on top with an old cd spindle in it and a 10ltr box of water. See 3 pics below, no cheese in there though. I have had a few issues of the water box falling off into the sink but it works well for me. I am working no a horizontal press with a quick grip clamp but the box is just to easy.

Question 2 I got some commercial Maturing room shelving from cheeslinks at a sale a while ago for 5 dollars a piece, they a connect together on the short end. I only needed one but thought 5 bucks was cheap and got 8 of them, might come in hand later on http://www.cheeselinks.com.au/commercialmatting.html

Hope that helps you out.

Al