Author Topic: American Style Pork Ribs & Buffalo Chicken?  (Read 8634 times)

Crystal

American Style Pork Ribs & Buffalo Chicken?
« on: January 31, 2012, 03:23:18 AM »
Hey guys,
Hoping some of you might have a better idea than me on how to cook really good pork ribs?

Also im looking for a good buffalo chicken wing recipe?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Crystal

smilingcalico

Re: American Style Pork Ribs & Buffalo Chicken?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:34:45 AM »
Can't help with the chicken, but for the pork ribs, either boil first before grilling, or cook them in a crock pot (no need to boil).

Crystal

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:41:48 AM »
boiling you reckon? before grilling i mean. We will be bbqing them. Ill look around for buffalo wings!

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45:07 PM »
I often cook ribs in my smoker, keeping the temperature at 170° F, and cook at least four hours, six is better. When I don't smoke them, I cook them in the crock pot, rubbed with a spice mix, and just a bit of beer in the bottom of the crock to steam them.
The original Buffalo chicken wings were deep fried, then shaken in a sauce of margarine, Worcestershire sauce, and Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce. This is according to a friend of mine who worked at the bar that claimed to have invented them; this was long before they became so popular.
I make them differently: I cook the jointed wings on a rack over a pan in a 450°F oven until they are quite crisp. I melt a stick of butter and add about a Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and about two tablespoons of Frank's Louisiana Hot Sauce, then paint the wings with this with a basting brush, and pop back into the oven for a minute to dry the sauce. This is a great favorite in our house.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 02:52:28 PM »
FWIW, I grabbed this out of our paper a couple years ago. No, I haven't tried these recipes.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:02 PM »
ok, dave, DH 'wants' to bbq them... Could i slow cook the ribs then when they are cold put them on the bbq?

Also, for the wings i get the same sauce in my searches, so will give it a try! I like them breaded and fried, so will do that then mix in the sauce..?

Thanks for those boofer, i found the same ones on a recipe site last night ;)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 01:59:09 AM »
Oh please please don't boil your ribs! Your throwing away all the flavor! You can grill ribs and add a few chucnks of good fruit or nut wood off to the side and make a rib just as good as a slow smoked rib (Did I say that? Yes I did!).

The secret to a good grilled rib is a good rub. Keep your fires low so they don't burn and use a good rub - no sauce until right before you get ready to eat them if you insist on using a sause. The sugars in the sauce will burn too fast.

OKay ribs 101 assuming a grill not a smoker ...

1st buy a great looking full rack of ribs with nice marbling throughout. UNtrimmed is best. Hopefully they will look something like this:

if you want to turn them into Kansas City style or baby back style just cut straight acrossed like this:

the sweetest meat is what you'll be cutting off.

This is the back of the rack, there's a little belly flap you need to trim off (This cooks fast and makes a great snack for the cook)

2nd remove the membrane from the back like in the pictures below, start at the big bone end lift it with a butterknife to get it going and

then grab it with a paper towel and pull accross the remaining rack. The paper towel helps to hold on to the membrane.

Once you've trimmed your ribs the way you want them, generaously apply your rub and let them sit for about an hour. A good rub will extract some meat juices, mix and make it's own sause. Sorry I don't seem to have a picture of rubbed ribs but just sprinkle it on and pat it on and wait an hour.

These are grilled ribs trimmed Kasas city style - no BBQ sause was used.

To tell id your ribs are done grab both ends with two sets of tongs and fold them back against the curve. When they are done they ends will touch, if they are over done they will break apart. wrap in foil when finished and let them sit for about 15- 20 minutes before eatting.

If you need a good rib rub I have an eBook you can download here

Deejay's Book of Rubs

It pretty old but still a lot of good stuff in there.

ENjoy!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:12:48 AM by DeejayDebi »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
I call that membrane "silverskin".

Yeah, I do the rub but let it sit wrapped in foil in the fridge overnight. Then I slow cook for several hours on the grill or in the oven, finishing on the grill to crust it up just a bit. On the grill I can toss a few pieces of wet smoking wood to give it additional flavor. Yumm!

Oh and I agree, once upon a time it was recommended to me to boil the ribs to remove the excess fat. You are correct. The flavor went down the drain with the boiled water. Never again.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Crystal

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:54 AM »
DH said boil.  I knew better, but he made me write the original post. Honestly, i dont like pork ribs lol! The chicken is for me ;)

So, i just got a new bbq with a hood which will make it easier to slow cook on the grill. Though, its gas, can i still chuck some wet wood chips (im assuming our bunnings  has smoker chips)? Can i just put them on the grill plate?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:42:43 AM »
Boffer - I agree overnight is best if you can do it.

Crystal - A tin can will work or some heavy metal container. The chips really don't have to be wet they just take longer to burn. Once they dry out there's no difference. Any good dry nut or fruit wood should work fine. Stay away from heavy bark or mold it will make the food taste bad.

Crystal

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:59:20 AM »
OK, wont worry about wetting. ive never smoked before ;)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
Even buying a foil pan or fashioning a little foil container will work. Just soak the chips in water awhile. They need to smolder, not burn.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »
DJ - why cut Kansas City style? Seems like a waste of meat.

Crystal

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
You dont waste that bit, thats the reward for the Chef in my opinion! Ah, tin foil, i can do that!! Thanks guys!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 02:03:24 AM »
I don't usualy cut mine but alot of people like them that way. Never a waste! Snacks for the cook and some for the sausage! i actaually like that part best - tastes better to me. just has all those little cartledge bones. Just illustrating what kansas city style is.

You can just use a piece of tin foil and make a packet with small holes for air if they are small chips and as opposed to chunks. Boofer wet wood doesn't smolder it just dries out then smolders, but that's an on going battle with some people.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:14:03 AM by DeejayDebi »