Author Topic: Meso CHR HANSEN CHN 19 - dividing into smaller portions?  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Meso CHR HANSEN CHN 19 - dividing into smaller portions?
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
Here in Latvia the smallest amount of starters we can buy is Hansen's DVS (different) packs for ~135 gal

Any suggestions - can I divide this starter in smaller portions?

I found at http://thecheesemaker.com/cultures.htm
this:
Use 1/8 tsp. per 1 gallon(3.7liters),
1/4 tsp. per 2-5 gallons(7.5-18.9 liters)
1/2 tsp. per 5-10 gallons(18.9-38 liters).
The culture is primarily used in the manufacturing of Continental (Alpine cheeses) semi-hard cheese varieties with eyes, Gouda, Edam, Leerdam and Samsoe.

My question is can I mix this culture with skimmed milk powder and divide into small portions (f.e. - for 2 gal) for my hobbyist friends?

any reply will be appreciate! Thanks for your help!

zenith1

Re: Meso CHR HANSEN CHN 19 - dividing into smaller portions?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:27:39 PM »
Vina-you can divide the packet up any way you want. No need to mix with anything. Just store according to the manufacturer's directions(usally the freezer).

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
Thanks!
I'm thinking about adding some powdered milk because it would be much easier process.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
Bins- don't forget that you would in effect be adding a non active ingredient to the mix that will increase the amount of the culture you will have to add. It just adds another variable to account for.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
It will have to be a substantial amount of powder to make a difference.
Most bulked up culture products (such as packs for making 1\2 gallon of yogurt kind of thing) use maltodextrin and non fat milkpowder as bulking agents.

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Thanks!
I'm thinking about adding some powdered milk because it would be much easier process.
maybe I misunderstood exactly what you are asking. By "process" exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

Offline Vina

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
Thanks!
maybe I misunderstood exactly what you are asking. By "process" exactly what are you trying to accomplish?

sorry, I was not very precise. What I want to do is - divide that large amount of CHN 19 into smaller portions adding some bulking agent, for example milk powder.