Author Topic: HB's First Stilton Style  (Read 2968 times)

HB

HB's First Stilton Style
« on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
I started a Stilton Style with 2 gallons raw Jersey/Brown Swiss milk and 2 cups pasteurized, non-homogenized half and half on on 1/21/12. I pasteurized myself at 145 degrees F for 30 minutes. I loosely followed the Ricki Carrol's recipe and innoculated with MM100 and PR(VS strain). I pressed overnight at 8 lbs. The next day I pulled apart the curds into roughly 1" pieces, salted, and put into the molds. I had anticipated as per the recipe that the curds would fit into a single2 lb hard cheese mold. Well, no way that was happening. I ended up splitting the curds between a 2 lb and a 3-5 lb mold. I am not quite sure why the yield was so high. Possibly because of very high butterfat in the milk. I drained them at room temp(72 degrees F), flipping regularly for 4 days. At that point I un-molded them and smoothed them (though this step was not in my recipe). At that point there was already a little blue showing. They are now in the cave at 50. Pictures to come!

zenith1

Re: HB's First Stilton Style
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »
You do wind up with a large mass of curds with blue-something that you have to be aware of when planning.

HB

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »
That's nice to hear. I've never made a blue cheese before. I was very surprised when my yield was more than double what the recipe calls for!

HB

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:16:36 AM »
And this is how it has developed up until today...

HB

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
It's aliiive! The blue is doubling by the day.

T-Bird

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
 When I adopted that pressing overnight with 8#  then breaking up the curd mass, salting procedure is when my "Stilton" began to have open enough paste to blue well. I also make a 2 gal cheese. I think the 8# wt mimics the weight that a much larger curd mass has on itself on the draining tabla that you see in Stilton making videos that I saw here. Looks like a great cheese so far. When will you pierce?

HB

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:30 PM »
Well...I don't know when exactly I should pierce them. My recipe called for doing it in the first week(which I did not do), but upon reading up on blues on this forum it would be better to wait 4-5 weeks. I may split the difference since I split the curds into two cheeses. They might ripen faster than a full 2 gallon stilton. When did you pierce?

T-Bird

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
I pierce mine at 5 wks with a skewer that is .112 in dia. just something I had around the house that appeared suitable.  I pierce once and my holes stay open.At least they have the last 3 cheeses. I pierce top and bottom, about 20 holes in each side extending to the middle. My cheese, however, is shaped differently than yours. Mine is about 21/2 in. thick and 6in. dia. I then age 4 more wks then open.

HB

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
So you age them about 2 months... I have a small knitting needle for piercing (2.75 mm) and was planning to pierce from side to center only.

T-Bird

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 12:59:49 AM »
I age mine 9 wks, my cheese is shaped differently, look at my christmas stilton post, those 2 pieces were two 1/6 of the whole cheese slices. Somewhere back in the posts on this forum there was a discussion about smaller cheeses not needing to age for 3 mo. like a larger cheese. I guess alot depends on the culture, the mold strain, the temp, the humidity etc. I found that 9 wks works for me in my cave with my cheese shape and method. after I "cut the cheese" I tightly wrap in plastic wrap, give away a couple of pieces, and refrigerate the rest. I have kept it for a month w/o it ammoniating or drying out. My wife and I both like blue cheese, so long term storage isn't an issue.

HB

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:39 AM »
Yes, I saw your cheese and was duly impressed. Thanks for the insight. A cheese for you!

T-Bird

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:05 AM »
Thank you very much but I am by no means an expert. I began cheese making when I sold my vet. practice 3 yrs ago. I really like blue cheese so I started there. I didn't know there were easier places to start, but here we are. I had trouble getting the paste to blue for the 1st several cheeses. I have a small"cave" and make 1 cheese at a time for now. When I began pressing the curds overnight in the draining bag between 2 boards with 8# wt., turning once, then milling , salting etc. before molding , my curds were firm enough to retain the openings in the paste for the mold to grow- which is the key to internal veining. I didn't know that. I thought the mold just spread out in the paste when you pierced the cheese. The learning curve is not very steep for cheesemaking, it takes you 2 1/2 mo. to know if any change you made in your method  worked or not. With this method I have reproduced this cheese with identical results 3 times. I just now got the know how to post pics.

HB

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
One week away from piercing. I am curious as to how moist the rind should be. Mine is completely dry.

HB

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:17 PM »
Piercing day! It went well, no cheeses cracked in half etc. Now we wait...

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:34 PM »
WOW!! Realy looks nice, Hope mine go this well  :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/