Author Topic: New Soapmaker here  (Read 2320 times)

citybounty

New Soapmaker here
« on: July 25, 2012, 06:26:51 AM »
Hi Everyone,
My name is Pam and I would like to learn to make soap.  I have a few ideas for some recipes and would like to make friends with others who make soap or are learning to make soap.

So to start with a friendly question: What scents do you all like?  I am trying to find out what will sell well, and would love any input anyone might have.

Thanks for your input,
Pam

Tomer1

Re: New Soapmaker here
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 10:28:14 AM »
I like fruity scents rather then perfume.

knipknup

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
I've got a desire to make soap as well. There are several low-cost books in amazon kindle library abou making soap. Now I just have to give it a shot.
Licorice and anise are nasty soap smells.

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 01:22:51 PM »
Desert Daydream blends sweet orange and cinnamon leaf essential oils and results in an almost-edible scent.  Use about a 3:2 ratio.  I also add dried flower petals, no colorant, so it is a creamy soap with flecks of color from the petals.

My lavender-oatmeal soap is still one of the most popular.  I use a blend of cinnamon leaf, cedarwood, and nutmeg essential oils for a woodsy, more masculine scent and color it with green French clay.

psearle

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:40:17 PM »
Hi Pam

My wife and I make goats' milk soaps in the UK and sell them locally at craft fairs and the like.  We do a plain (unscented) soap which is very popular, a range with essential oils (Lavender, Sweet Orange, Lime, Lemon and Tea Tree) which also sell well and a range scented with cosmetic fragrances of which the most popular are Jasmine and "Sea Breeze".  For last Christmas we also made special batches with fragrances of Christmas Spice, Mulled Wine and Frankincense & Myrrh.  These three all sold but I have to say that I found the smell of Frankincense & Myrrh quite unpleasant!

Good luck with your venture

Peter