Author Topic: Great Pizza Dough  (Read 5891 times)

Brentsbox

Great Pizza Dough
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »
This is by far the best pizza dough I have ever made.  I have been using this recipe for quite some time now and im never disappointed.  Dont skip the proof time of 24 hours.  I sometimes have let this go as much as 3 days and it is always the best dough ever!

Our Pizza Dough Recipe

1 pound (or about 3 1/2 cups) high gluten flour
1 ¼  cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
In a heavy-duty stand mixer (e.g., KitchenAid) fitted with dough hook, add the water, oil, yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix thoroughly until yeast has fully dissolved. Add flour and mix on low speed until all of the flour and water have mixed and a stiff dough ball forms, about 3 to 4 minutes. Stop mixing as soon as the dough ball forms as this type of dough should not be kneaded.   

Place the dough ball into a large bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 24 hours in the refrigerator before using. Please note that I cannot over-emphasize the importance of a 24-hour rising time since it is absolutely essential for the dough to develop its signature texture and, more importantly, its unique flavor! Do not skip this step!

Preheat your oven to 500.  If you have marble or slate counter tops you can roll this dough on the counter top without any flour otherwise you will need to roll it out on a floured surface.  We like to roll it out real thin. 
After you roll out the dough and put it on a lightly oiled pizza pan you will need to poke it all over with a fork.  Put it in a 500 degree oven 4 – 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and make your pizza.  We start with a light coating of tomato paste then add pepperoni, Canadian bacon and then top with cheese, then we add some more cheese.  Put back in the oven and bake till the cheese is all melted.

my mouth is already watering!

Cheesetart

Re: Great Pizza Dough
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:28:28 PM »
I'm going to mix this up tomorrow -- Monday night is pizza night in our house!  I have some fresh mozzarella and some sauteed veggies and jalapenos and we are good to go!

juicylucy

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 07:35:34 PM »
ooh gotta try this one!

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
"Stop mixing as soon as the dough ball forms as this type of dough should not be kneaded"
I disagree, You should completly develope this type of dough during mixing.
Its essentially a ready to use dough once mixed but does develope alot more charecter if left to bulk ferment for a few hours.(especially if using sour dough starter and polish)
I would say mix on first speed for 3-4 min and on 3rd speed for 3-4 minutes untill you determine gluten web has fully developed with the window pane test.

McCreamy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:31:38 PM »
have you ever replaced the water with whey? I've had good results with that in my baking.

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:08:01 PM »
Yeah it works just as well, I usually reserve the recooked whey (If I have enough for it to be worthwhile) If I dont recook I just strain and freeze untill needed.
Latly I've been skipping kneading all togther,Just throwing everything in a boul including salt and combining,
Giving the dough more time for initial fermentation and doing many stretch and folds I find the dough.
I normally start in the after noon and then retard untill the next day to develope flavour and even more strength.

tananaBrian

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
"Stop mixing as soon as the dough ball forms as this type of dough should not be kneaded"
I disagree, You should completly develope this type of dough during mixing.
Its essentially a ready to use dough once mixed but does develope alot more charecter if left to bulk ferment for a few hours.(especially if using sour dough starter and polish)
I would say mix on first speed for 3-4 min and on 3rd speed for 3-4 minutes untill you determine gluten web has fully developed with the window pane test.

I've made lots of breads that don't use much if any kneading, but do use either a long bulk ferment with french folds or a retardation period, and they most often do a great job of developing the gluten while they are fermenting (retarded or not).  Developing gluten during an extended slow rise results in less oxidation of the dough than you'd get with machine kneading too.  I'd say that if a process works, then stick with it, or at least experiment and do a side-by-side comparison in terms of the final product's risen nature and flavor development.

Brian

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
Btw, you need really high protein flour for a good strong dough with high elasticity.
Adding some vital wheat gluten to bread or general purpuse flour is also a possibility.

Brewandwinesupply

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
Gee, Tough call this dough or the GF dough.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 12:05:42 AM »
That is a problem. GF doesn't seem to want to rise.

Brewandwinesupply

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
yeah, but we like a thin crispy crust sometimes.