Author Topic: Gluten Free Pizza Crust  (Read 5957 times)

anutcanfly

Gluten Free Pizza Crust
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:55:56 PM »
Having just made mozzarella, and having 10 month aged goat feta I made last spring, I just had to make a pizza.  I didn't want to overdose my sweetie, so I looked around for a gluten free recipe.  I assembled the pizza, after 5 minutes of par baking the crust, and fully expected to bite into a disaster.  I was totally surprised that it was actually good!  It was thin, crunchy, and stiff enough to hold the toppings so you could eat it with one hand.  Best yet, it was not tough/chewy/hard at all.  This crust was actually better than the wheat crusts I've done!  The dough is a little weird to work with, and I would suggest adding the flour to the water in small amounts as the reverse was difficult.  I did a greek style pizza that didn't survive long...  So here is the crust recipe I got online:

Gluten Free Pizza Crust

This gluten-free pizza crust recipe can be rolled out, just like traditional wheat dough. You can make a thin crusted New York style pizza or thick crusted Chicago style, you decide. Then load it with your favorite toppings.

Use the all purpose recipe at the bottom or your favorite GF all-purpose flour blend.  **I used a brown rice mix—see below

Ingredients:
   3/4 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix
   3/4 cup tapioca flour
   2 tablespoons dry buttermilk powder OR dry powdered milk OR Vance's Dari-Free Powder
   1 teaspoon Agar-Agar powder (Vegan ) OR unflavored gelatin powder
   1 teaspoon salt
   2 teaspoons xanthan gum
   1 package active dry yeast granules
   1 teaspoons sugar OR 1/2 teaspoon honey OR agave nectar
   2 teaspoons olive oil
   1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
   1/2 cup lukewarm water (hot water will kill the yeast!)
   Extra tapioca flour for rolling the pizza dough

Gluten Free cornmeal to sprinkle on baking sheet

** Brown Rice Mix
     2 cups brown rice
     2/3 cup potato starch
     1/3 cup tapioca starch

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (I bake at 500 degrees, with a pizza stone.)

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and sprinkle lightly with gluten free cornmeal.
   Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed together.
   Add sugar or honey or agave nectar, vinegar, olive oil and gradually add water.
   Mix on high speed for 3 to 4 minutes.
   Scrape the thick dough on to a large clean surface liberally sprinkled with tapioca flour.
   Work enough tapioca flour into the dough so that it can be shaped into a large ball. With a large knife cut the dough in half to make two medium pizzas.

The key to shaping this dough is to continue to sprinkle the work surface and the dough with tapioca flour.

Shape each piece into a circle making sure to sprinkle enough tapioca flour on the dough and the work surface to prevent it from sticking.
   With a rolling pin shape the dough into circles. Roll thin for New York style pizzas or thick for Chicago deep dish style.
   Carefully place one prepared pizza crust on baking sheet or pizza stone (see tips) sprinkled with corn meal and bake for about 5 minutes or until the dough is firm. This is called parbaking. Repeat with second pizza.

Top pizzas with your favorite ingredients and bake an additional 7-10 minutes or until done. Or cool parbaked crusts, wrap and freeze for convenience.

This nutritious gluten-free flour blend recipe is made from a balanced blend of sorghum flour, brown rice flour, amaranth and quinoa. The high protein content of this blend can be used in your favorite gluten-free bread recipes and to make a great tasting gluten-free pizza crust.

Another Gluten free flour mix
   2 cups sorghum flour
   2 cups brown rice flour (I use superfine brown rice flour)
   1 1/2 cups potato starch, not potato flour
   1/2 cup white rice flour
   1/2 cup sweet rice flour
   1/2 cup tapioca flour
   1/2 cup amaranth flour
   1/2 cup quinoa flour

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Gluten Free Pizza Crust
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
Looks great hon - how's the flavor?

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 05:42:51 PM »
The flavor was great.  I was wondering why the recipe called for yeast as it didn't rise, but suspect it was for the yeasty flavor.  The only compliant I have for the gluten free recipe is the dough is awkward to work with and more difficult to roll, but it was quite doable. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 02:04:24 AM »
even with yeast it doesn't rise?

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
It might have if the dough was wetter and it was left out for awhile.  The dough was used immediately after mixing.  I will have to try that next time and see.  Most versions of GF pizza dough can't be rolled and that may be a trade off.  Since we like thin and crunchy this version is a good match for us.  Also I can use my pizza screen and stone to good effect.  Can't do that with a crust you spoon into a pan!  Not to mention my habit of overloading... not many crusts can hold up to that amount of fixings without collapsing.  I couldn't believe how nice the crunch was.  I thought for sure it was going to be a tooth breaker!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 03:30:01 AM »
Even an instant crust rises some. Must be the lack of gluten? i have heard they don't rise much.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 05:50:29 AM »
Hi DeejayDebi

I'll be making another pizza for valentines day so I'll see if I can get it to rise and post the results.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:29:34 AM »
I have been curious about these gluten free doughs. i would like to make something for my son that is good for him and he likes. fortunately he prefers a flat pizza neopolatin style - i love a nice thick Sicilian!

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:01:49 AM »
There are a lot of recipes for both, but most of them have to be spooned on and spread, so you can't use a pizza screen and stone.  What are you cooking your pizza on? 

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
Hi DeejayDebi,

I made another pizza for Valentines day and this time I made the dough earlier in the day.  I rolled it out and put it on my pizza screen.  It sat there for about 3 or 4 hours, and it didn't rise visibly, but something happened.  The crust was a little softer, but still sturdy, and it tasted even better! Very close to perfect!  8)  If you try this recipe, expect to add more water.  The water given make too dry a dough.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
I will send it to my son. He loves pizza but he liked the flatter Neopolitan style so this may be perfect for him.

Brewandwinesupply

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »
Glad you did the post, I've been looking for a good GF recipe. Looks great :P

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:53:37 PM »
Your welcome Brewandwinesupply.  There's a learning curve to baking with GF flours!  With muffins, a generous portion of grated apples, carrots or other roots, will keep the muffin's texture right, but bread I haven't yet figured out...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 12:04:31 AM »
Hope it's not like a almond cheese I have been experimenting with ...  :-\

anutcanfly

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
Almond cheese?  Do tell of your adventure!