Author Topic: Blues, whites and pH  (Read 953 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Blues, whites and pH
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:35 PM »
I am trying to get a few technical things sorted in my head regarding the acidification of cams and blue cheeses, and the effect of adding blue mould to cams.

For blue cheese we target a 24 hr pH in the order of 4.7-8.  I understand this is to help the development of the blue mould.  Is this the case?

For cams we tend to target a higher pH, especially if it is a stabilised type.  Less lactic acid available for the white mould means that there is less food for it so the cheese remains 'firmer'.

If we throw blue mould into the cam mix and target a higher final pH this will affect the growth of the blue mould.  Is this correct?

I guess what I am trying to work through, in terms of acidity curves, is the differences between a standard blue, a standard cam and a blue cam.

Thanks.

NVD.

linuxboy

Re: Blues, whites and pH
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:40:01 PM »
I understand this is to help the development of the blue mould.  Is this the case?
Does not make much difference for roqueforti. Makes large difference for candidum, as you pointed out.
and target a higher final pH this will affect the growth of the blue mould.  Is this correct?
Not really significant enough to matter for blues. What might affect it is synergistic competition for resources. Or strain of candidum, some tend to inhibit blues.
in terms of acidity curves, is the differences between a standard blue, a standard cam and a blue cam.
For blues, that small of a difference shouldn't make a huge difference.