Author Topic: Danisco's LH or LM  (Read 1319 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Danisco's LH or LM
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:34:33 PM »
In Australia most of the cheesemaking workshops suggest to add LH to the culture mix for blue cheese.  My understanding is that this is to help create openness by the production of gas.  I would have thought LM would have been a better choice since it seems to be a better gas producer.  LH is a thermo and LM is a meso so maybe this is part of the reason.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

NVD

linuxboy

Re: Danisco's LH or LM
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »
LH would be added to help hydrolyze buterate, to soften that slightly acrid note in some blues. Not for openness. LM or MD would be for a touch of openness, but one best practice way to achieve openness in blues is by scalding them quickly at the onset of the cook, to create a slight casein shell around the outer edge of the curds. Combine with a 4 mm or so curd size, and you will get even moisture+ good openness+ good knit. Then pack them, let them drain naturally.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:20:15 PM »
but one best practice way to achieve openness in blues is by scalding them quickly at the onset of the cook, to create a slight casein shell around the outer edge of the curds.

Could you please expand on this idea?  So if I am cooking at 33oC, then raise the temp to 38oC?  Is this what you mean?

NVD.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:24:17 PM »
or maybe just add some hot water?

NVD.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:37:45 PM »
Yes, exactly.

cut, heal, stir gently for 5-10 mins to let that initial moisture work itself out (important, else you trap too much moisture in curd). Then crank up the temp. Ordinarily, you'd try to do something like 1 C every 5-7 mins. With blue, you want to dehydrate the outer edge more and let it cook faster. How much faster? maybe 3-5C over 15 mins. This way, you'll wind up with a casein shell around each curd bit, it will be slow to fuse together, and will be kind of rubbery, encourage openness. Then as it drains, that shell will re-hydrate some, and the whole thing will reach equilibrium over time. It's a somewhat delicate balance, best to have a good feel for the curd.

Hot water is an idea, but then you're leaching lactose and calcium, could lead to inadequate acid. If you're going for a mild blue, could work.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »
yeah forgot about the dilution effect of adding water.  I'll cook up.

Thanks.

NVD