Author Topic: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?  (Read 8310 times)

anutcanfly

Gouda, 3rd times the charm?
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:19:25 AM »
My first gouda was crumbly, my second was made with store bought H/P milk and though the make went well it developed a bitter flavor.  I've noticed that no cheese I've made with raw cow or goat milk has developed bitterness.  So I'm trying again.  This time my pH meter started miss behaving.  That made the make very difficult!  I think the pH is fine, but it was way too moist!  I not quite sure how I managed that, but 5 1/2 pounds from 4 gallons milk...even given that it's Brown Swiss and winter, is a little much!  I'm sure it will taste wonderful, but I doubt it will be any good for extended aging. 

Has anyone tried aging a semi hard cheese for a year?  I would hate to accidently ruin a good cheese!

Gouda (Dave’s recipe)              2/2/12

Yield after brining 5 pounds, 9 ounces
Floc x3
SG 1146

4 gallons raw Brown Swiss cow milk, pH 6.7
¼ tsp Kazu
¼ tsp chymosin (x3)

Warmed milk to 86 degrees, added culture and let rehydrate 5 minutes. 
Stir in and let ripen until pH drops approx 5-10 minutes.  30 minutes later pH was still 6.7 and temp was 86 degrees. Went ahead and proceeded with next step.

Added rennet and waited for floc.  Did first check at 8 minutes and it had begun—oops.  I figure it likely not to have flocculated much before that.
8 x 3 = 24 minutes, check for clean break and cut curd into 3/8 inch cubes.

Clean break at 24 minutes, so I cut the curd and let it rest for 5 minutes.  Temp 86 degrees and pH 6.7??  Recalibrated my meter and pH was 6.5

Stir 20 minutes or until pH is 6.4.  Started heating wash water to 130 degrees.  I had stirred 27 minutes before pH was 6.4, temp 85 degrees

My meter is fluctuating too much!  Forged ahead with washes.  Removed 5 cups of whey and replaced with 110 degree water as it still had not finish heating up.  Waited 5 minutes, then removed 6 cups whey and replaced with 6 cups 120 degree water.  Waited 5 minutes and replaced 6 cups whey with 6 cups 120 degree water. Temp 96 degrees

Whey was not at target temp of 102 degrees, so started heating the whey.  Reached target temp in 6 minutes.  Then stirred at 102 degrees for 20 minutes. 

Drained whey, catching it in a pot below the hoop.  Pulled press bad snug and placed follower on top.  Put hoop with curds in pot of whey.  Pressed under whey for 10 minutes at 8 pounds.

Moved hoop & curds to press and pressed for 30 minutes with 60 pounds.  Redressed and pressed for 30 minutes at 112 pounds, ph 6.4 Redressed and continued pressing at 112 lbs.  Press until pH is 5.6 to 5.7.  Meanwhile, soaked meter in cleaning solution and recalibrated it again.

First hour pH 6.4
2nd hour pH 6.3
3rd hour pH 6.0
4th hour pH 5.6   

Stopped pressing, weighed cheese (5 ½ pounds) and put in brine for 16 hours.

JeffHamm

Re: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 01:34:33 AM »
Hi anut,

I've found that washed curd cheeses (gouda and butterkase) can sometimes retain alot of water.  That's where the extra weight is probably comming from.  It will eventually loose this weight as it air dries and sits in the cave.  Keep track of the weight until it gets to where it should be, that will let you know it's shed the excess water. 

I've aged a gouda for a year (still have quite a bit of it at 14 months now) and it is really worth the wait.  I waxed mine, but I wouldn't do that until it shed the excess water right now.  Give it a month or two, then vac pac or wax, and wait.  Go for Christmas time or New Years.

- Jeff

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:57 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I was thinking of keep on natural rind on this so I could shed some of the excess moisture.  That raises the question, how much weight does it need to lose to age well?

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:36:56 AM »
Hi anut,

I think the rule of thumb is about 1 lb / gallon?  So, a four gallon make should result in roughly a 4 lb yield.  Now, with 5.5 lbs, you're over by about 1.5 lbs.  I would think once it gets down to around 4 lbs, you're about where you would expect to be.  I've had some cheeses start out at 1.5 kg from 10 l, which is about 500g more than expected (1 kg / 10 litres).  They usually drop down to 1100g within a week or two, so I would think yours will do the same.  Age it a month then seal it and you should be fine, but check the weight just to be sure.

- Jeff

Cloversmilker

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:15:29 AM »
Your gouda will probably release some whey during brining.  The 'correct' weight after air drying may well be more than 4 pounds though.  My yields with winter milk have been consistently higher than the usual 1 pound per gallon rule. 

Your gouda looks very nice!  I made 2 goudas this week as well; a 9 or so pound behemoth on Tuesday, and a 4-5 pound wheel with black peppers yesterday.  Yesterday's gouda is still in brine.  I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:39:27 AM »
SG 1146
Pardon my ignorance. Specific Gravity? Scientific Gnotation? The number of Startled Gnomes?

Nice make detail and a good-looking cheese!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

adalton

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
Although I am new at semi-hard & hard cheese making, I have made a number of cheeses with store bought milk and I think it's a waste of time using this type of milk, at least the brands around here in Southeastern Michigan.  Everyone of my cheeses outside of Ricotta or Mozzarella have been very dry, crumbly and more acidic than I wanted.  I will never use store bought again for any type of pressed cheese.

Andy

anutcanfly

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:54:15 PM »
Hi Jeff, Cloversmilker, Boofer, Cheesemkr,  :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!   :)  It may actually be near right for gouda. I lifted it to turn and thought about it.  If I ignore the weight and base the evaluation on how it feels I get a different picture.  It feels firm with just a little give.  Next week I'll try to remember to get the specific gravity of the milk and see what the total solids are.  Then I might be able to develop a better picture of what yield is reasonable.

Boofer, SG means specific gravity.  I was wondering how long it would take you to notice and complain.  ;)

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
But Startled Gnomes are so much more fun!

I get a higher yield with winter milk, too.  I was so looking forward to making milk this winter, then the cow decided a year of giving was enough and took an extended dry season.  Oh, well!

Kudos on coming up with a raw milk source! 

anutcanfly

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 05:16:17 PM »
Hi MrsKK,

I got really lucky as the cow lives 2 miles away, and freshened in october.   I wouldn't have thought that would be good time to freshen a cow?  I read that in days past goats (English Alpines) had been bred to only have to freshen once.  It would sure be nice if breeders would try to select for that trait again.

Sorry Boofer,

I was in hurry and didn't realize I had not really answered your question.  I keep track of specific gravity on my make notes because I don't have a salometer and I don't refresh my brine after every make.  Given the big yields I'm getting I will likely start taking a brix reading of the milk to help guesstimate yields.  Brix + 2 = equals total solids in milk--approx. 

smilingcalico

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:03:26 AM »
Good looking cheese! No worries on the extra weight, but...the only caution is B.linens.  While it's traditional for a little orange glow, too much extra moisture gives b.linens a helping hand.  You might want to keep it lower at 50-60% until well dried to keep it at bay.  You can still age this cheese out if you don't develop rind issues. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
Boofer, SG means specific gravity.  I was wondering how long it would take you to notice and complain.  ;)
Oh, snap!  :'(

Complain, hmmm? There is a difference between inquiring and complaining.  ;)

Sorry Boofer,

I was in hurry and didn't realize I had not really answered your question.  I keep track of specific gravity on my make notes because I don't have a salometer and I don't refresh my brine after every make.  Given the big yields I'm getting I will likely start taking a brix reading of the milk to help guesstimate yields.  Brix + 2 = equals total solids in milk--approx. 
Anut, thank you for that. That's pretty good to actually keep track if you reuse your brine. Might be a tip for others here who reuse brine.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 04:39:54 PM »
Yes Boofer,  I'll grant there's a difference but accusing you of inquiring wouldn't be quite as fun!  ;) 

It's a learning process just trying to figure out what info is going to be needed to problem solve with months down the line.

Thanks smilingcalico,

I've always been afraid of causing my rind to crack, but the lower humidity would make it easier to keep the free loaders at bay! I'm beginning to think it would be worthwhile to buy extra hygrometers so I can throw one in the various mini caves I have all over the place.  That way I can intercept problems, rather than just react to them!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:45:48 PM by anutcanfly »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
You're such a tease, anut.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
 A)