Author Topic: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?  (Read 8309 times)

Likesspace

Re: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 01:56:06 AM »
Hey, somebody used my recipe! Hooray!!

Man it's been so long since I've been able to get back into cheesemaking. Too many family commitments and too little time.
For the past two weekends I've made cheese and I think I'm enjoying it more than I ever have. Nearly a year and  a half off is way too long.
Last weekend I made a Gouda and added red and green peppers.
This past Saturday I made a Gouda and added dried onion flake.
I truly hope this Gouda recipe turns out for you since it is my "go to" cheese. It never fails to make a nice edible cheese that I'm proud to share with others.
I have found that heating the wash water to 140 degrees gets you closer to your 102 degree target temp. and I've also found that washing with 8 cups, 10 cups and 10 cups turns out a more creamy cheese.
I also agree that aging in excess of 6 months is the way to go with Gouda. It is definitely worth the wait although it tastes great in as little as three months.
I usually halve my 4 gallon wheels and eat one early on and age the other for at least 6 months to a year.
Thanks for giving my recipe a try and again, good luck!

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
That gouda looks good. Anut. I think you got a god cheese going there!

anutcanfly

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 05:48:14 AM »
Thanks DeejayDebi,

Thanks Dave,

My meter going haywire made this make very challenging.  I was so preoccupied with it that I forgot to start heating the wash water soon enough and so it was not to temp when I needed it.  Thank you for the tips for the next make.  I'll be sure to use them.  From reading thru the threads your gouda is well loved.  Thank you for sharing it!  :)

MrsKK

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »
"I got really lucky as the cow lives 2 miles away, and freshened in october.   I wouldn't have thought that would be good time to freshen a cow?  I read that in days past goats (English Alpines) had been bred to only have to freshen once.  It would sure be nice if breeders would try to select for that trait again."

Having a cow freshen is the point, when it happens can be inconvenient, but in this day and age they can calve at any time.  Our cow last calved November 27, 2010.  I didn't want a calf to be born that late in the year, but I had some trouble getting her bred back.  Better to have a winter calf than to have a cow dry off and not be pregnant at all.

I know that there are some dairy cows and some dairy goats that are very persistent milkers, but with "normal" dairy genetics these days, they breed for high production, rather than persistency.  A cow that is on a schedule to freshen once a year works well with the big dairy system.  They also give more milk over a short period of time and as time goes on, production dwindles, which is not attractive. 

This is on the commercial level, of course, but with the exception of a small population, they are the ones that determine what the rest of us get for milking livestock. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
Man it's been so long since I've been able to get back into cheesemaking. Too many family commitments and too little time.
For the past two weekends I've made cheese and I think I'm enjoying it more than I ever have. Nearly a year and  a half off is way too long.
Welcome back, Dave! You've been missed.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

anutcanfly

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »
Thanks for the info MrsKK.  That's a shame.  The most troublesome part of having a few goats is what to do the kids every year! 

Likesspace

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 02:37:44 AM »
Thanks for the welcome back, Boofer. It's good to see a familiar face.

I just noticed that you've left me in the dust when it comes to cheeses. A true friend would have refused all offers of cheeses until I returned, so that we could have advanced together.
It's okay, really. I won't hold it against you. :-)

Seriously, it's great to be making cheese again. Friday night I plan on making a Stilton and then a normal, regular, garden variety Gouda on Saturday. Right now I have a window with no family problems so I'm taking advantage of every free minute.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Dave

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:02 AM »
Hello Dave -

Good to see you again. I haven't been in much so didn't know you had been MIA all this time. I do believe I used  a combination of your gouda recipe and my parmesan for my Gougiano Zafferano which is coming up on 2 years old in April. So I guess you've been sitting on the shelf making cheese all along!

anutcanfly

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:26 AM »
Wow! 2 years? You have patience down pat!  I'll have to google that cheese, I've never heard of it before.

anutcanfly

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:02:12 PM »
I remembered to measure total solids in the milk this week.  The milk I used to use (store bought P\H) was 11% total solids.  The raw Brown Swiss cow milk I use now was 13.5% total solids.  13.5/11=1.23  4(1.23)= 4.92  So the four gallons of milk that would produce a 4 pound wheel, will now produce and 4.92 pound wheel.   

:o Wow! What a difference!  No wonder I keep thinking I've missed my target moisture by a mile! I think I will make a point of test for total solids though out the year and see what happens.

anutcanfly

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
I checked this cheeses weight and was surprised/happy to see that it had dropped almost a pound in the last 3 weeks.  5 pounds, 10 ounces to 4 pounds, 13 ounces.  This is the first time I have tried keeping a cheese at 75% humidity and it worked perfectly.  Cheese developed a good rind quickly and was easy to brush free of mold.  I never did need to wipe it with salt/vinegar.  No signs of cracking, but I'm now brushing cheese cream on it as I think it's dumped enough weight, and moving it to my regular cave at around 90% humidity.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
Wow! 2 years? You have patience down pat!  I'll have to google that cheese, I've never heard of it before.

You won't find that cheese on google Anut, unless someone else is using my recipe it is one of my own designs. It's hopefully to be an aged gouda  with the nutty,  creamy, fruity flavor of a Parmigiano Reggiano with saffron. I give all my crazy cheeses Italian names. Gougiano is a combination of gouda and reggiano, and  Zafferano means saffron in Italian - so I named it Gougiano Zafferano!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:11:28 PM by DeejayDebi »

anutcanfly

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
That sounds yummy! I hope it's every thing and more than you hoped for!   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 01:20:48 AM »
It's hopefully to be an aged gouda  with the nutty,  creamy, fruity flavor of a Parmigiano Reggiano with saffron. I give all my crazy cheeses Italian names. Gougiano is a combination of gouda and reggiano, and  Zafferano means saffron in Italian - so I named it Gougiano Zafferano!
Well now you've got me going, Debi! Your description of the "nutty, creamy, fruity flavor" intrigues me. What kind of flavor does saffron offer to the cheese? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a noob with that.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:33 AM »
Boy Boofer tht's a tough one saffron is sort of sweet and sort of bitter if over done and adds a nice color and aroma. Saffron tatses like saffron. I like the looks of the threads in the cheese and the yellow color it adds too.