Author Topic: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Gouda, 3rd times the charm?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
Boy Boofer tht's a tough one saffron is sort of sweet and sort of bitter if over done and adds a nice color and aroma. Saffron tatses like saffron. I like the looks of the threads in the cheese and the yellow color it adds too.
Perhaps the sensory description is "savory". It maybe "rounds out" the flavor?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 02:02:04 AM »
Not sure Boof I have never quite managed to pin down "Savory."

anutcanfly

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 09:07:11 PM »
I just cut into my 3rd Gouda and I really liked the flavor!  Texture was very nice and the flavor gets even better when melted!  This cheese is going back to age awhile longer... this is going to wonderful!  8)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
Looking Yummy!!!

When can I come over for some grilled cheese sandwiches, and nibbles?

A)

anutcanfly

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
 ;D  If you're willing to pay airfare to come here and sample cheese, I would have no recourse but to let you try every last one in my cave! What a lunatic show of dedication--I'm impressed!  ;)

smilingcalico

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
Gouda seems to do well at 4 months too. When I'd have a 4 month wheel alongside a 2 month wheel, the customers always bought the 4 month. It peaks again at 6 months, a year, and 18 months.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 12:15:37 AM »
Gouda seems to do well at 4 months too. When I'd have a 4 month wheel alongside a 2 month wheel, the customers always bought the 4 month. It peaks again at 6 months, a year, and 18 months.
I wonder if that could be said for something like a Leiden too? It's pretty close to a Gouda.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

smilingcalico

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
I'd imagine so, it's the cumin that makes the difference there.  I think you'd have to test for a certainty just due to the spice, but with black pepper, I can say it holds up well!

Caseus

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »
That is a beautiful cheese, anut, with a beautiful and clean looking rind.  If I may ask, what was your rind treatment / aging method?  Wax, vacuum, oil?  I scanned over the entire thread but didn't find where you mentioned that.  Sorry if I just overlooked it.

It looks like wax.  I'm planning a gouda, and waxing is part of the plan, so that's why I'm asking.

anutcanfly

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:45 PM »
Thank you Caseus.  I'm using two coats of cheese cream.  Much easier to apply, peels off easy and it breaths!  So cheeses will have some moisture loss over time, just as they would with a natural rind. So far I'm pretty happy with it.  Moisture can get in, so I use a grease pencil to mark cheeses, and am careful to keep condensation off them.

Caseus

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
Is that a polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) product like what hoeklijn uses?  A plastic coating, in other words?  Or is it something different? 

This Paracoat product (scroll way down the page to find it) from Dairy Connection I believe is PVAc.

This Cheese coating from CSK (Holland) from Glengarry could be the same, but there is no detailed description. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
I'm using two coats of cheese cream.  Much easier to apply, peels off easy and it breaths!  So cheeses will have some moisture loss over time, just as they would with a natural rind. So far I'm pretty happy with it.  Moisture can get in, so I use a grease pencil to mark cheeses, and am careful to keep condensation off them.
So that's all you're using for rind protection? And it does breathe? Does the one you're using contain natamycin? Where did you get it and what is it called?

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!

anutcanfly

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
I got mine from Hoeggers Supply Co.  On their site they call it cheese coating, but I've seen what is likely the same product under different names cheese cream, or paracoat.  Mine is without natamycin, and yes, it really does breath.  Several cheeses have interesting colors on top because I used a marker on them and it just went right thru and onto the cheese!