Author Topic: Shelving ideas/possibilities  (Read 1858 times)

mnml

Shelving ideas/possibilities
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:05:38 AM »
Right now, we are packed in our aging room. Each shelf is full and will continue to be for a long time. Now we use custom-designed wooden shelves that store our hard, natural-rind cheese vertically, and our semi-hard, washed-rind cheese horizontally on a plank. These can be removed and washed when necessary. I feel like we could save room by integrating our wheel diameter in the design construction between each removable shelf, particularly for the natural-rind cheese, reducing the dead-space in between each shelf. This would give room for one more shelf on each row, perhaps.

Wood seems unstable after a good amount of time, it is already beginning to warp due to the weight and moisture it holds. Ultimately, I have a conceptually simple idea: rolling, collapsible shelves that are operated by a turning hand-crank on the end... you know, like some libraries have? This would allow room for 2, maybe three more shelves in our facility's aging room. Construction or any type of drastic expansion is not an option.

Is this concept already a reality, does anyone know?

What material is ideal for a long-enduring, strong, easy to clean shelving unit, ideally for the concept I previously described?

jwalker

Re: Shelving ideas/possibilities
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »
It would be nice to see a photo of your current setup , it sounds like maybe your shelves are just made of wood that is too light , I would suggest using 2"x 10" pine , it would hold a lot of weight , and if your worried about moisture , you could paint them with food grade paint.
That would be the most cost efficient way.

1 1/2" Transdeck will not warp and will hold just about any ammount of weight , it is coated with a fiberglass resin on one side and is designed to be waterproof , I use it for trailer decking all the time , and I keep all the scraps for any outdoor projects where I need something durable.
Check out the link , it's very expensive tho.

http://www.ainsworthengineered.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/transdeck.pdf

Stainless steel would be nice , but even more expensive.