Author Topic: Gorgonzola Dolce #52, first try  (Read 10678 times)

TAMARA

Re: Gorgonzola Dolce #52, first try
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »
Hi again Anut,

Were you looking for a crumbly strong blue or a creamy gorgonzola dolce style as per your title? I would be pleased to give you my recipe which is ready to eat after 4 weeks and is a real creamy dolce. I keep it quite soft but you could age it more slowly if you want more time for the blue to develop. It just one second prize at a country show and I've made it 3 times with the same result each time. Let me know if you would like it. This is a photo of it now...

Regards, TAMARA

anutcanfly

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Hi Tamara,

I was going for mild and creamy.  I'm hoping for a pleasant eating blue rather than a strong cooking blue.   I would love to have your recipe! 

TAMARA

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »
Happy to provide it. It is mild and creamy and I like that is is ready for eating within 4 weeks and not 8-12 or more like some others.

My recipe is in my hand written notebook so would prefer to scan and email to you. Are you happy to provide an email address?

If not, I will type it down on this forum.

Regards, TAMARA

anutcanfly

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 03:05:23 PM »
No, the idea of posting my email address make me a little nervous.  If you post your recipe everyone can try it out if they want.  The wealth of recipes on this site is a great help!

Tomer1

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
Tamara, dont be shy to share.     Your cheese does looks very nice and creamy :)

I suppose the fast maturation is from the small size of the wheels?   these look like 400-500 gram cheeses right?

TAMARA

« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:18 PM »
No problem guys, I have been a cooking teacher for 20 years so the idea of sharing recipes is just a 'given'. I was just being lazy in not wanting to re-type but here goes....

Tamara's Bay Blue

8lt goat milk
4lt cows milk
PInch each of Type B and Type C starters
Pinch of strong blue mold (mild can be used instead)
2ml. calcium chloride diluted in 30ml. water
2.5ml. vegetable rennet (microbial) diluted in 30ml. water

Heat the combined milks to 28c and add the starters and mold spores and stir through gently.
Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
Add the diluted calcium chloride and stir through thorougly.
Add the diluted rennet and stir well for 2 minutes then cover and allow to rest for 40 minutes or until clean break is achieved.

Cut curds to 2cm and allow to heal for 10 minutes
Stir gently to move the curds through the whey, breaking up any larger curds.
Stir thoroughly (gently) every 10 minutes for an hour (ph6)
Heat the curds to 30c. slowly and stir once more then drain the curds and stir gently to expell a little more whey.

Transfer curds to baskets (I use small ones which take about 200g of curd but you can make a large cheese if you prefer)
Flip after 10 minutes then after an hour and again after 2 hours. Allow to drain overnight then flip once more.

Salt the surface of the cheese at 2% the following day.

Allow cheese to drain on a mat for  12-24 hours then mature at 12c for 4 weeks, piecing at 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks.

Wrap and store at 3c for up to 4 months.

** This recipe makes a very mild, creamy blue with limited blue veins as the cheese softens quickly after piercing. If you prefer a firmer stronger cheese, drain curds completely then break up with your hands before transfering to moulds or baskets.

Tomer1

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »
Thats lovely.  I'l be sure to give it a try with just cow's milk.    Isnt type C an (ST) thermo culture?

anutcanfly

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
Thank you!  It looks lovely.  I'm looking forward to trying it.  A cheese to you for taking the time to share.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
Looks really good!I may try this without the mold.