Author Topic: Roquefort  (Read 1395 times)

ItsEssexRob

Roquefort
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
Hi there.
I noticed in my local tescos that Roquefort packets dont have warning lebals for unpastursied milk on them despite containing it.

They are matured for 4 months according to the label, is this why as 4 months is well past the 60 day period for cheese safety?

Thanks.

ItsEssexRob

Re: Roquefort
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:12:30 PM »
Anyone know why this one is considered 'dangerous' even though its 4 month maturity is well past the 60 or 100 day guidelines?

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
because its not 100% safe and may harm immune compermized indiveduals.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »
I can't speak to British laws, but in the USA all raw milk cheeses must be aged at least 60 days. That is currently being reviewed and may be amended to 90 days. In theory, the starter bacteria eat up all of the "food" within 60 days, so there is nothing for pathogenic organisms to live on. We are required to label our cheeses as "raw milk" or "unpasteurized" just so the consumer knows what they are getting. It is not really a warning. Even so, some retailers refuse to carry raw milk cheeses.

So in the USA, it is illegal to sell fresh cheeses like Brie or Mozzarella made with unpasteurized milk. Europeans do it all the time.