Author Topic: Rennet amount and coagulation issues  (Read 6675 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Rennet amount and coagulation issues
« on: February 11, 2012, 04:05:48 AM »
I am trying to learn about the strength of the vegetable rennet tablets I am using (the only kind of rennet I have tried so far). A suggestion has been made that I decrease the amount of rennet I am using to increase the flocculation time. These tablets came from NEC company, and they suggest that 1/2 tablet should set 2 gallons of milk in approximately 45 minutes at 86-95F. They do not provide the IMCU information. So I am not sure how much of the tablet to use. Does anyone know the relative strength of these tablets?
Susan

Cheese Head

Re: Rennet amount and coagulation issues
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 01:09:14 PM »
scasnerkay, I think you mean "vegetable" rennet from North East Cheesemaking web site, who does not list the maker or specs other than ingredients are "Microbial coagulant (Mucur Pussillus and/or Mucur Miehei), Megnesium Stearate, Microcrystaline Cellulose".

Additionally, the problem with tablets is you don't know how long it has been on the shelf or storage conditions and thus don't their efficacy, remaining strength. To some extent the same problem occurs with liquid rennet. Regardless of the type & format, the manufacturer's dosage rate is the starting point after which you should adjust up/down depending on results. one method being flocculation as you say another poster recommended. Flocculation and other rennet testing methods listed here, and if too fast/slow vs your recipe and thus how much to adjust for your next batch.

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »
I can only echo what john has posted. Try and obtain some liquid rennet from one of the sources listed her on the forum, and try and use the spinning bowl method to determine the actual flocculation point instead of approximations. You will have much greater success and with less frustrations.

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
PS: Any markings on the package that could help determine your batch's manufacturer? Search the forum for word "tablet" you'll find lots of threads with people having problems and what they did to overcome. As zenith1 recommends, next order go for liquid rennet.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
Being new to this and have only made a few cheese's, I started out with tablets and was very disappointed lost a few gallons of milk got tired of that and ordered dry calf rennet from thecheesemaker. I have been using 1 pinch= (1/16 tsp.) Dry calf rennet (per 8 qts. of milk) and my success rate has gone way up but I have yet to try the flocculation method, I am going to try it out on my next cheese for no other reason than more info on timing, Like I say just a beginner and trying to get better results one cheese at a time. ^-^   
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

zenith1

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 07:55:16 PM »
H-K-J, definitely give the flocc method a go. It will help you be more consistent in your makes.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:57:02 AM »
I had a message from New England Cheesemaking company today that provides an estimate of 380-385 ICMU (IMCU?)for their tablets which are only labeled as single strength. On the other hand, the liquid animal rennet they sell is listed at 270 - 280 ICMU (IMCU?).  I think that might make a difference on the rapid flocculation.
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
I understand that experience with different milks and making adjustments with regard to flocculation times trumps standards, but is there a "standard" IMCU amount for one gallon of milk?
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
Yes, 7-9 ml of 200 IMCU per 100 lbs of milk.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 06:19:44 PM »
I am not sure about the weight of milk, but does this come out to a little under 1 ml for 1 gal of milk?
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 06:35:02 PM »
1 gallon of cow milk weighs 8.6 lbs. Can do the math from there :)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »
I found a local beer and wine making store selling some Mad Millie products, including calf rennet! So my next batch of cheese I will use this instead of the tablets for the first time trying a different rennet! The range suggested on the bottle is 0.2 to 0.5 ml per liter. It is indicated to be 280 IMCU/ml. The suggested range seems a bit large to me. Do I just shoot for the middle and see what happens to the flocculation times and then go from there? I also found a 3ml dropper to use. So if my batch of cheese is 2 gals (which I guess is very roughly 8 liters) then the amount of rennet to use is (very roughly) 1 to 2 ml?
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
.2 to .5 ml per liter

8 liters:

.2 ( 8 ) = 1.6 ml
.5 ( 8 ) = 4 ml

1.6 to 4 ml for 8 liters milk.

I would suggest letting the type of milk you use, be the determining factor.  I have found that goat milk (higher pH) needs far less rennet than cow milk, and store bought H/P cow milk needs more rennet than raw cow milk.

With time you will get a better idea of the amount needed to have floc occur between 10 - 15 minutes.

I would suggest that you pick the rennet you want to use, and use it exclusively! 

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:39:16 PM by anutcanfly »

anutcanfly

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:00 PM »
That's funny!  My eights turned into smileys! Guess I should fix it.

linuxboy

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:26 PM »
Do I just shoot for the middle and see what happens to the flocculation times and then go from there?
You calculate how many ml you will need based on the strength and your milk weight. That guide on the bottle is useless. It gives you a crazy range with no clear guidance. Please follow this convention, it is the industry standard, used across all hard cheeses:  7-9 ml per 100 lbs milk, with a time to floc of ~12 minutes (for continental cheese types).