Author Topic: milky whey with goat milk  (Read 1955 times)

Offline botanist

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
    • CalOakGoats
milky whey with goat milk
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »
I saw a previous post about getting milky whey when cutting curd from fresh raw goat milk...there are several possibilities, some of which were mentioned and I'd like to add my 2 cents worth

Different stages in the lactation cycle produce different qualities to the milk, depending on feed, seasonal climate changes and the goat's own metabolism (or other dairy animal).  For this reason, some artisan cheesemakers only make certain cheese during certain times of the season.

Goat milk is 'naturally homogenized', meaning that the fat globules are much smaller than those in cow's milk.  The protein and enzyme profiles are also different, contributing to the much softer curd that one obtains with goat milk.

Cutting the curd either too early in flocculation, or too late, will result in loss of milk solids (which are milk proteins) and milk fat from the curd, resulting in milky whey.

One or two things to try, besides allowing the curd to 'knit' together between cut directions (great recommendation!):

From Cheesemaking.com--We recommend using .01% calcium chloride with your raw milk and .02% if it has been pasteurized. With our calcium chloride that comes to ¼ tsp. per gallon for .01% and ½ tsp per gallon for .02%. Dilute it in ¼ cup of cool non-chlorinated water and add it when you begin heating your milk. Then, after adding your rennet, allow the milk to set 3-5 minutes longer than usual before cutting your curds.

Check your rennet--it may be too old (it is an enzyme and they have a limited life)

Check your culture--it may not be 'vibrant' enough

Late season milk tends to have lower protein content, thus may need to ripen with culture longer.  Allow the curd to set longer, until you see a thin layer of whey forming on top and the curd is adhering to the sides of the cheese vat.

before goats, store bought milk = chevre & feta, with goats, infinite possibilities, goatie love, lotta work cleaning out the barn!