Author Topic: Rennet amount and coagulation issues  (Read 6671 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Rennet amount and coagulation issues
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 12:59:04 AM »
As I demonstrated above, when I multiplied by 4 rather than 8, numbers are not my strength. Fortunately, I do not use numbers at work! However, using the standard of 7-9ml (of 200 IMCU rennet) per 100 # milk, my engineer husband tells me that comes out to about .7ml per 1 gallon (8.6#) or 1.5 ml for 2 gallons. That seems a very small amount of rennet at even at 280 IMCU! I feel a little afraid that my milk will not curd....   So if on my first batch, the flocculation is very long, what do I do to not waste the milk?
Susan

linuxboy

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 01:04:57 AM »
That's about accurate, yep. Start at the higher end, 0.9-1.0 ml per gallon, if you want. Assuming your rennet is good, it should set fine.  If scared, do a small batch, 1 quart and .25 ml to confirm.

If it is not setting, wait until it sets and then cut. Not much you can do.

anutcanfly

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 01:39:01 AM »
Milk based chowders and bisques are great ways to use mistakes.  My first bungled attempts at Cambozola were used this way.  I loved using the soured cream (with PC) in my Cauliflower Blue Cheese Bisque so much that I'm going to have to do it on purpose!  The PC and GEO in the soured cream, really make the soup tasty!  :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:44:57 AM by anutcanfly »