Author Topic: Manchego #5 12 Feb 2012  (Read 2055 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Manchego #5 12 Feb 2012
« on: February 12, 2012, 12:05:45 AM »
Well today is shaping up to be a nice quiet day, no markets ,no appointments, no housework.  Yummm cheeseing today.  Today is a my 5th Manchego and having learnt a few lessons from the last one.  Lipase over done can lead to a very sharp very pungent cheese.  My wife wouldn't eat it, my mates and I on the other hand loved it and it grated nicely.  It was too dry.

Today will eb like my last one 10 litres and following Ricki Carrols recipe.  It has worked 5 times so I will continue.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Manchego #5 12 Feb 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 01:23:47 AM »
I’m using the Lamb lipase and a Flora Danica and a MO036 thermo.

¼ tsp of Calcium Chloride.
1.25 gms Mad Millie’s Lamb Lipase.  Last time was 5 grams and way to much
7litres of 3.8 % milk with a 3litre 3.4 to bump the fat content. (10litres in total)

9:30 16 Deg C
9:45 18 Deg C Added ¼ tsp CaCl2 @ 32 deg C.
10:17 30 Deg C Added ½ Dose Flora Danica and ½ dose Thermo
Ripen for 45 minutes at 32 deg C.
Mad Millies 2. To .5 rennet per 1 litre and 5 gms sets a bit too quick therefore 4gms and aiming for 12-14 minutes Flocculation.
11:05 Added rennet and aiming for a cut at around 30-35 minutes.
FlocTime: 15 minutes and with 3 times mulitplier 45 minutes hence cut time 11:50.

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:02:00 AM »
Once cutting with the Curd Knife to ½ inch cubes and let sit for 5 minutes.  The whisk is used to cut the curds into rice sized pieces and stir for 30 minutes.  This is a little more difficult as you don’t want to reduce the curds to a mush.  I initially stir with a spoon and then in a plunge, tilt 90 deg and lift motion, pass the whisk through the curd mass.  Only a few time at then stirring with the spoon again.  Use the whisk a couple of time and then stir and continue this for 30 minutes.  By the end of this the curds will have shrunk to rice size or just a little bigger.
After 30 minutes heat to 40 deg C (1 degree every 5 minutes) should take 45 minutes. I managed to hit every 5 minute temperature points and the curds are the size of rice but not too firm.  As the temperature increases the curds shrink some more and you must keep them moving or they will matt.
1:30 Resting now for 5 minutes before draining.
Pressing is quite light 15lb for 15 minutes repeated 3 times and then 30lb for 6 hours.  It is really important not to over press this cheese as it needs some retained moisture.  My last one was very hard.  This time I’ll attempt to hopefully have whey still appearing after the 30lb press.
After the pressing the cheese then is brined in a salt solution 1 Kg salt (non iodised) to 4 litres of distilled (or boiled and cooled water) for 6 hours.
To age, this cheese, remove from the brine and air dry.
Maturing time depends on what the outcome you are after new-medium-old.  I have my ‘Cave’ set on 12 Deg C.

Manchego Fresco 5 days
Manchego Curado 3-12 weeks
Manchego viejo 3-12 months
Manchego Aceite – aged in olive oil- for longer than 12 months.
Depending on what you are after control mold with a cloth dipped in brine.  If mature for a long time 2 months plus keep the rind moistened with olive oil.
This cheese is not waxed.

I'll add photos if I remember to take some.

Priestman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »
Cheese on, Ozzie.  Will you tell me more about your pressing and the weight?  Are the 15# and 30# a measure of pressure, or are you talking about actually sitting a 15# and 30# weight on a certain size mold.  If the latter, I would be encouraged to press lighter than I do now.

By the by, I took a manchego-style wheel to a winter farmers market in Tamworth, New Hampshire (the next town over from my town) this past Saturday, cut into it blind at the market, and it was so good--sold the whole thing in about an hour and a half.  And here I was counting on a little orphan wedge to bring home and eat with the children.  ...Maybe next time.

Thanks for your help.

Paul
THE BIG FARM Creamery
http://www.thebigfarmcreamery.com/

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:03:27 AM »
@ Priestman,
The weights are only a calculation of the pressure at the plundger for my Dutch Press.  The poundage is from Ricki Carrols recipe.  I did press #4 too much and turned the cheese into a grating cheese and very hard to cut.  This one I use just her weights and times.  My mold is a 160cm Dia one so I'm not really sure if even that is under or over.  All I can say is that I was still getting a little dribble of clear whey at the last pressing and a very nice knit.

Hope that help :)

-- Mal

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
My cheese is getting a little blue on top but a quick wipe and a dry and all is well.  I'll start oiling next week.

kookookachoo

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:44 PM »
This will have to be my cheese on Thursday!  My last Manchego was nom nom..a wee on the dry side, but otherwise good.  I went a little under on the rennet from my last make also.  It was a little on the bitter side..not overpoweringly so, but like a definite bite. 

I'm doing a cheese-a-day, before I take a month hiatus on cheesemaking.  Today is Lancashire day. :D  To date, Lancs has been a bit on the finicky side for me.  They've all turned out well, apart from the Caerphilly (the house favorite), it's my second favorite & Manchego would have to be a close 3rd. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your photos, too!  :D