Author Topic: 30 minute mozzarella  (Read 2074 times)

anutcanfly

30 minute mozzarella
« on: February 12, 2012, 01:02:13 AM »
Traditional Mozzarella takes too long for me to want to make very often, so I'm trying out the 30 minute type.  I made numerous adjustments as I wanted to make sure I got a nice tender/soft paste.  I'm very happy the result!  I came close to going overboard and making it too soft.

30 minute Mozzarella       2/11/12 

1-gallon raw milk 4%, pH 6.6
2 tsp citric acid dissolved in ½ cup cool water
11 drops x3 rennet dissolved in ¼ cup water

Warmed milk to 55 degrees and stirred in the citric acid.  Checked pH and added acid as needed until a pH of 5.0 was reached—took two tsp total.

Warmed the milk to 90 degrees and stirred in rennet.  Let sit until a good curd was formed.  Checked in 5 minutes but let it sit 10 minutes. Cut curds in large ½ inch cubes.

Warmed curds at medium heat until the temp was 102 degrees.  Stirring very gently the whole time.

At 102 degrees I transferred curds into a large bowl and put the pot of whey on the stove, added ¼ cup salt and heated whey to 175 degrees. 

While I was waiting for the water to heat, I began pressing the whey out of the curds with my hands, and as they formed a soft lump, picked it up and continued pressing.

When whey reached 175 degrees I poured it over the curds and let them heat up until soft and pliable.  Stretched a foot and looped back, then stretched again.  Did this 3 times then shaped them into 2 balls in the same manner as shaping pizza dough.

Submerged in ice water for 30 minutes, then brined for an hour in a 16% brine.  Flipping the cheeses over after 30 minutes.

Very soft, very nice eating.  A little salty from the brine, but only the outside, inside is good.  If left a few days before eating the salt should equalize nicely.  Vacuum packed while wet with salt water.  Can’t wait to make pizza with these.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: 30 minute mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
30 minute mozzarella doesn't tastes as good but is great in a pinch or for teaching others. I always use this a s a first cheese lesson. Taught a bunch of elderly and recovering folks at a convelesent center a few years back for their rehab class and the elderly liked it because the heat from the cheese made their arthritic hands feel better. Cheese, it's a wonderful thing!

anutcanfly

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »
That's new! I'll keep that in mind as I grow older!  :)  I thought it tasted just fine, and you really wouldn't be able to tell the difference on a pizza.  I think I'll use the traditional recipe went it's to be eaten by itself or with tomatoes.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:50:17 AM »
Oh it tastes good just not as tasty as the traditional method. Kind of like the difference between skimmed milk mozzarella and whole milk mozzarella if that makes sense to you. Being as mozzarella is made at lower temperatures I just use a chaffing dish and the tap and make 7 pounds at a time. I freezes well and being Italian I use a lot of it. Still always finding myself running on empty though ...  ;)

anutcanfly

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Does freezing hurt the texture or flavor at all?  That would make it more feasible as I could make 4 lbs at a time instead of one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
Freezing doesn't hurt it to bad unnless it gets snowy? Mine doesn't last that long but I do have an old freezer that doesn't defrost itself and after about 2 or 3 months everything get covered in snow. Eventually the snow turns to ice.

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »
thanks for the tip.  I'll give it a try.  In any case, pizza is very forgiving!  :)