Author Topic: Labeling Cheeses / Records Journal-Log  (Read 4257 times)

Annie

Labeling Cheeses / Records Journal-Log
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:06:22 PM »
Since everyone has been so helpful, I thought I would write my two hints. Most people here have probably figured these out, but It took me a while. (hopefully these are good hints!)

1. Label your cheeses, esp if you make more than one every couple of weeks (!)

How I do it: measure your mold(s). Cut printer paper in 1" strips to make a circle around the cheese with lots of extra room (my molds are all 6" and I cut strips long-wise then tape them together), making a very loose strip so the cheese will have plenty of air around it. I will tighten the strip with more tape when the cheese is older. Then write what you've done on the strip and lay it around the cheese and don't lose track of it!

2. Keep a notebook. What I do is to fold the page in half length-wise, and write a very brief description of the steps on the right side. Then I date the left side and write my notes (stuff like "5 mins late cutting curd" or "10 minutes extra for clean break") and results ("no, that was not a bottomless mold in the picture, use cheesecloth" "Beautiful cheese :) ")

Then, when you go to make the cheese again, fold the directions page over so you can see it while writing your notes on a new page (which I also divide in half for two cheeses). I just write the date and the name of the cheese on top and keep the notes across from the steps on the other page. (Sometimes I have to clip the directions page to keep it at the right cheese.)

With the date and name of cheese on both the cheese and the notes, I will be able to go back and see what worked and what didn't, as well as any possible seasonal changes (raw milk has those).

I sure do hope these help some newcomer one day as y'all have helped me so much :) Thank so very much!!!!!!!

Tomer1

Re: Labeling Cheeses / Records Journal-Log
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »
You can mark your cheeses in the press with a piece of plastic.

Annie

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:34:02 PM »
I thought about doing that when I saw that the cheese took impressions (one of my followers has an indent, having been made from a cutting board). I'm experimenting with a lot of different kinds, and I need the dates on them too, and I couldn't figure out how to mark them like that.

But it would be nice :D So much easier!

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
I once saw a cheesemake cutting numbes from the cheese with a knife after pressing , just maybe 1cm deep.
I think it was after brining.

beechercreature

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:53:08 PM »

I thought about doing that when I saw that the cheese took impressions (one of my followers has an indent, having been made from a cutting board). I'm experimenting with a lot of different kinds, and I need the dates on them too, and I couldn't figure out how to mark them like that.

But it would be nice :D So much easier!

you could do something like what's shown in this thread:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9275.msg66219.html#msg66219

it looks great and is a great way to keep track of a cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
I sure do hope these help some newcomer one day as y'all have helped me so much :)
Annie, here's a cheese for helping others find their way.  8)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mightyjesse

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 02:58:22 PM »
I use clearstamps (from the craft store as seen in Dave's picture) to mark my cheese and I track them using Evernote on my computer and my android phone. Sometimes I use skitch to comment on flaws in my cheeses as seen in pictures I take of them with my phone. Ah, the technology available to the modern cheese-geek...

https://www.evernote.com/pub/mightyjesse/cheesemakes#b=17ab4f12-e9d2-4d51-a965-1e57af11c4d6&n=6c80399f-1947-45e3-854c-6b4c0a118825

I had been using OneNote for my cheese notes, but when I discovered that Evernote could be accessed from my phone, my tablet, and both my Mac AND my PC... Well... I started switching my stuff...

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 12:31:03 AM »
I have been labeling mine with edible ink pens found on Amazon. Pretty easy to use, like writing with a felt tip pen.
Susan

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 06:48:26 AM »
To "label" my cheese, I use a slip of paper inside a zip-lock type snack sized baggie.  I write the date and type of cheese, the date it came out of the mold, whether it was brined & how long, when it goes into the cave, when I vacuum pack it, etc.  When I vacuum seal the cheese, the baggied label goes inside with the cheese.  When the cheese is in the cave, the baggy is just on the rack in front of the cheese.  If I'm not careful, I can get them mixed up, but it generally works for me.

hoeklijn

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:48:09 AM »
For my hard and semi hard cheeses I use labels between 2 layers of the coating I use for the pressed cheeses.

Annie

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 05:39:08 PM »
Wow, these are great ideas :) I am going to try them little by little.

The letter indents and labels attached to the cheeses look so pretty!