Author Topic: sanitary humidity?  (Read 2284 times)

knipknup

sanitary humidity?
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
I left a cooler sitting for a few days with some water in the bottom and a few clean cheese clothes draped to soak and evaporate in an effort to raise humidity in there.  After a few days, it was pretty stinky in there.

I'm sure we've all experienced the camping cooler that we wish we cleaned earlier.

Is this a benefit to aging cheese, or would it be better to leave Starsan instead of water as the humidifying agent so nothing nasty is introduced into the inoculation area?

Has anyone seen negative flavor or other effects from using Starsan?  It is what I use for sanitizing during the making process.

Tomer1

Re: sanitary humidity?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
You could try some white vinegar to lower the water's pH making it less hospitable to bacterial growth.   
Starsan is also an option but you will need to refresh it\replace the solution every few days as it loses efficiency.

Caseus

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:24 PM »
What about salt water, Tomer1?  Could that be used for humidifying?  Like a saturated brine, for example.  Salt inhibits bacterial growth, and it could be boiled and filtered periodically.

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:53 AM »
There are halophilic stuff which can still grow but sure you can try and see.    you can make a thick rock salt slurry, not an accual brine.  it works as well for adding humidity.