Author Topic: USA, New York - Hoops & Molds  (Read 11408 times)

zvisaar

Re: USA, New York - Hoops & Molds
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »
hi
zvisaar from israel 
i was confused if u have stil molds which size and price
if you stil have can u may be sentit to israel??? if u can mail me it will be easyer to me to see it
thanks
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:22:31 PM by zvisaar »

iratherfly

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
Zvi, I have some of these in stock and now I have others too. I can also get you other stuff that you need as special order if you don't mind waiting. I can ship them to Israel, or as we Israelis do - hand it to any friend of yours who is visiting New York City. Amazingly, I can personally deliver them to you... I will be in Israel the entire month of May! What a miracle!

margaretsmall

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:29 PM »
Hi. Just love those little baskety things - I have some of the larger size with the flat bottom. I'm still concentrating on semi-hard cheese (havarti, butterkaese, gouda) and cam, blue, etc. in small batches, usually 6l. What are these little ones intended for? Could I use them for the semi-hard cheeses? (With the $A so high against $US its hard to resist the temptation to buy something!)
Margaret

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 03:51:36 PM »
Boofer - I  thought you had my email so I was expecting to hear of any requests... sorry, I have been very lame on the board in the past month. I will have more attention to it in the coming weeks again.
Yes, I have those. Actually sold a few to member Pavel in Russia. I have them in different material strengths and different hole patterns so let's get you the right thing. The ones I sold to Pavel were exactly that size but they were heavy duty, made in Spain and good enough for pneumatic press in daily creamery use. If this is just for the occasional tomme and you want to use little pressure than perhaps I need to look for something else for you. The cheaperst (and I think nicest) possibility is Italian made basket moulds which are very traditional for Italian and Corsican cheeses. They leave this beautiful pattern on the cheese that looks like wicker/straw basket and encourages mold growth a bit too.
No, didn't get an email or a PM.

Here's what I seek:
  • 5"-6" diameter by 8" high mold with follower so that I can make a taller 4 gallon cheese.
  • 4"-5" basket moulds suitable for small Tomme cheeses.
Prices? I'm looking for one of the taller mould and four of the smaller basket moulds. I don't think the stackable mould would work for me if I'm just using one, right?

Thanks,
-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Beans

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:01:30 PM »
Hi, iratherfly

I'm looking for the following:

2 x Cam Norm 115mm
6 x Crottin 80mm/200g
1 x 6" with follower - tall enough for 5 gal and strong enough for 20 PSI.

thanks
Beans

iratherfly

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2012, 06:18:55 AM »
Okay,
Boofer, please PM me your email address. I hate to keep you waiting for 4 days at a time for reply and I do reply immediately to emails.
  • 5"-6" diameter by 8" - I don't have any right now but can get some in the next shipment which would be in about 6 weeks. Is this for a Tomme? Would you want a basket or something that goes under a press and have some holes but not as open as a basket). Let me look at what I have and I will price it out for you. I do have standard Tomme and other wide baskets.
  • 4"-5" basket moulds - got loads of them here. For the sizes you specified I have them in a 500g-800g, 800g-1000g or 1000g-1500g. Some are round and stackable (so you can press the cheeses atop each other) and others are baskets where the bottom diameter is much smaller than the top diameter, so cheese goes one way in them.  In these sizes they range from $1.99 each to $4.99 (depends on size/material strength/quantity). See below a photo of the 100g-1500g which I used tonight. Each of the ones in the picture has 1 gallon worth in them so you can do about 1-2 gallons total each.
margaretsmall - Just PM'ed you. Here are the photos. I am not sure which little ones you are refering too, there are some flat ones for Ricotta and some tall ones for Caprino but the bigger flat or cylindrical ones are perfect for basket tommes and can certainly be used for low-press/no-press cheese like Havarti or blue. I imagine they drain a bit too fast for Camembert.

Beans please PM me. I can get you the Camembert and Crottin for less than anywhere online. I am just not sure what you are describing for the last mould. 6" diameter mould to fit 5 Gallon batch should be approx 6" tall. The stackable moulds I have in the photo in the start of this thread shows them (these are 6" and can fit more than 5 gal in them. You stack them during cheesemaking so each mould serves as a follower for the mould below it).  If this doesn't work for you I can special order you something else. (Heck, maybe I should stock up on taller narrower moulds, I have no idea why it's such a hit all of a sudden). I also have standard 4 Gal tomme + traditional follower if you want. Thoughts?

Here are the photos of the 1000g cylindrical baskets "in action" for those who asked to see. Just made a 3 gal batch tonight... See how they press/stack atop each other? (you rotate them once in a while)