Author Topic: Manchego Ph @ de-hooping  (Read 1431 times)

zenith1

Manchego Ph @ de-hooping
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:00 PM »
Yesterday I made a wheel of Manchego with the great raw milk I have available to me and had a question about the final PH reading I have. These are my targets and reading from this make:
                                  target                       actual

start  6.7
at rennet                    6.5                          6.62(ripening 1hr-a little slow)
at whey pitch             6.2                          6.24
@hoop removal       5.3                          5.14

My question is in regards to the late PH development at de-hooping. I was wondering how I should anticipate this will effect the aging. A little longer time needed? I think that it is happening because of the TA61 I am using in the make. I think next time I will try decreasing the amount of the TA by .1g(per 4 gallons milk) or so. Anyone?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Manchego Ph @ de-hooping
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »
This is about what I would expect from a Manchego. I shoot for 5.2-5.4.

During pressing the bacteria continue to convert lactose to lactic acid, so it is normal to see a pretty good pH drop overnight. This is in direct relationship to the pH at draining and hooping. i.e. If you had let the curds get down to say 6.0 then your final pH might be in the high 4's. The TA-61 has a longer pH curve that kicks in about 5 hours into a make. But that's a matter of timing not necessarily associated with the finished pH. TA contributes very little during the early stages of acidification, so it's important to also use a Meso that will acidify earlier and give the flavor profile that you want.

If you want a higher pH cheese then reducing all starter bacteria just a little would help, but the pH at draining (pitching) and hooping is just as important.

The pH at de-hooping also depends on a lot of environmental factors besides just the bacteria. The temperature of the room and the length of pressing time are 2 things that can drastically change a cheese. Warmer rooms = more active bacteria = lower pH. Cooler rooms will produce cheeses with less of a pH drop. Longer pressing times without cooling and brining also gives bacteria more time to produce extra acid. In order to hit absolute pH targets, you would have to get up in the middle of the night and take readings.

You also have to consider the calibration and accuracy of your pH meter.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:30 PM »
Flavor differences are going to be minimal with a .1 difference when cheese goes into brine for a manchengo type. So will your aging time - comes out about the same. Pre-rennet pH and drain pH are more important. Sailor covered the rest of what I was going to say.

Don't sweat it, have some cheese and your favorite BEvERage. :)

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:50 AM »
OK i won't sweat the slight variation fro my target at brining. Sailor I think that you hit the nail on the head. My pressing area was slightly warmer than I normally would have it at this time of the year. Usually it I keep it at around 67-68F and I think that it was up close to 70F during the final pressing. I did use MA4002 with the TA and anticipated a drop in the PH during the longer pressing due to the TA which occurred around 7hrs. I didn't take into account the elevated room temperature for that length of time. Good catch. Thanks to you also LB- I will enjoy this one with a nice Dog Fish Head My Antonia! Regards to you both..