Author Topic: Mals #5 Camemberts 18th Feb 2012  (Read 8143 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Mals #5 Camemberts 18th Feb 2012
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
I spent the morning facillating between will I or won't I get them another go.  And it was my wife that made the difference - TYhey have to work eventually.  After the wonderful help received for my abortive attempt #4 they didn't ripen. 
Today...
Only using Flora Danica.
Not going to brine, going to add 80 grams salt to the whey just before hooping.
Going to leave overnight to drain more before putting into the ripening boxes and finally keeping the moisture under contol better (I hope).  I'll be using Tim smiths recipe and method apart from the changes above.  I have a couple of hours before the hooping process so please jump in any time . . . :)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
Re: Mals #5 Camemberts 18th Feb 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
8 litres of milk (3.4% fat)
¼ teaspoon CaCl2 diluted in ¼ cup Chlorinated water.
1 good dose of GLA’s Flora Danica.
1 dose of just P.Candidum.
¼ teaspoon liquid rennet diluted in ¼ cup Chlorinated water.
80 grams of salt – added as above.

Added milk and started getting it to 32C.
09:00 added CaCl2 @ 20C.
Everything is sterilized and ready to go.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:32:25 AM by OzzieCheese »
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:06 PM »
Ozzie, looks we are both making Camemberts and recording our worklog at the same time, albeit I'm starting on a very rainy (flash floods warning) night in Houston and you in an Australian morning, my worklog here. GLTA!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:11:06 AM »
Hi John.  It's a balmy 26 degrees in Brisbane and sunny.  I'll post some pictures when I get to the interesting stage :)

9:30 32 DegC and added the Flora Danica and P.Candidum.  Ripen for 90 minutes.

The ripening milk will need to be stirred again due to the freeze dried direct set not quite dissolving.

The Flocculation method will be used today and aiming for about 12 minutes and a multiplier of 5.5.  Last time I actually achieved 14 minutes so the ¼ teaspoon and a bit should be fine today.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:26:24 AM by OzzieCheese »

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »
John  CH and I are doing these at the same time but 1/2 a world apart.. that's so cool.  I decided to follow his lead and introduce some G.Candidum as well so I added with still 45 minutes of ripening to go.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:38 AM »
11:05 Add rennet.  Not happy … 20:15 floc time therefore 5X multiplier gives 1hour:40 minutes setting time.  I think I need another batch of rennet as the last batch was 14 minutes with the same rennet and same measure.  Oh well this is the pth one must take for a hobby.

Curd cutting time @  12:45.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:26:51 AM by OzzieCheese »

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 02:53:07 AM »
Mal, with your new rennet, on the next make, just up the dosage rate to account for it's different strength (assuming same milk, rennet also sets easier with lower pH milk, ie more pre-ripening). Looks like I'm a couple hours on my make ahead of you as I've just made my first turn in the hoops!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »
I didn't want to cut the curd too early.  But yes the Floc time was a bit too long.  But the curds are still looking good. (i'll post pictures when I get to the hooping and flipping stage.

Cut the curd at 12:45 and stirred lightly for 15 minutes.  The last 2-3 minutes of stirring I slowly added the salt and stirred gently to distribute it amongst the curds.  I only used about 50 grams as I was a bit wary of over salting this batch.
Let rest for 15 minutes and then hooping.

Oberhasli

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
Mal,

I've got fingers, toes, arms, legs, etc., crossed for a good outcome ;D.  Good luck and looking forward to pictures.  Fifth-times the charm right?

Bonnie

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 03:31:49 AM »
Gotta keep trying, thanks for the encorragement.  The photos are from the start
1. The curd as finished stirring
2. The moulds ready and waiting
3. filling the moulds
4. Finally full with not much left in the pot.
5. My curd cut pattern.
6. After 20 minutes.
7. First Flip
8. Last flip

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:01 AM »
I left the 4 of them drain further overnight and in the end they ended up 40 mm high and weighing in at between 318 and 336 gms.

Quite honestly they all have got to this stage with the same results nice firm slightly moist.  But then something evil happens or doesn't happen as the case may be. 

So, PLEASE, PLEASE dont abandon me.  Well ok thats a bit melodramatic.  Any advise on what to do after this stage will be very much appreciated.

-- Mal

anutcanfly

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »
Best luck this round!   :) 

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
Pictures look great, your cut curds look more cooked and looks like you drained curds of whey before spooning into your molds, thus your formed cams have less gaps down sides than mine.

On your salting, I think adding dry salt to the curds and whey results in less of a controlled amount of salt per cheese than brining or direct dry salting each end of the formed cheeses like I'm doing (my method isn't perfect as no salt on sides).

For next blooming phase, I think it's very important to have moisture content right from air drying at room temperature before going into cheese cave, yours look good, no slumping. So for blooming it's all about humidity and temperature control and patting down the mold to minimize skin thickness. This time I'm going to pat down straight away as the rind on my batch #9 is too thick and looks like a skin.

george

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
Funny, I made cams on Friday, too.   Batch #16.  :)  Added geo to the mix for the first time, see if I like the resulting rind better (they always taste okay, but a little overly chewy, even though I pat 'em down all the time when ripening). 

Here's to three successful makes in one day!

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »
Hi John,
I've tried all three methods of salting and Brining and direct salt have not produced anything eatable. Not that I'm blame the salting ... My 'cave' is a constant 12 degrees and I don't have a hygrometer it's all a bit 'suck and see' on that front.  The only indicator is the moisture in the containers.  I'm going to wipe them out daily and hopefully the Camebert Gods will smile this time..

-- Mal