Author Topic: Parmesan from 8L batch. Is it possible?  (Read 4200 times)

Spoons

Parmesan from 8L batch. Is it possible?
« on: January 13, 2014, 03:25:29 AM »
I really want to make a Parmesan, but I'm limited to 8L batches. With an 8% yield, this would give me a 1.4LBS puck. If I age it naturally, I'll end up with a rind puck. I know some people have waxed or sealed their parms in the past, but I've never seen the end result.

I have a 4.5" bottomless cylindrical mould that should make a reasonably 2.5" high parm. So I want to ask if anyone has an aging suggestion? I was thinking of cream waxing (3 coats) after air drying and leave it cream waxed for about a month. Then seal it for like 12-18 months. Would this prevent the parm from developping appropriately?

DrChile

Re: Parmesan from 8L batch. Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:06 AM »
I made a 2 gallon Parmesan October of 2012 and waxed it after drying.  I knew it wasn't "proper" affinage, but I wanted to see what would happen - but I also saw precedent in other posts on other cheese blogs...
It is indeed a "puck"   :D
Opening in the next two months or so and I will let you know.

I'm sure other wiser board members may have other suggestions or hints...

Trent

GlabrousD

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
Opening in the next two months or so and I will let you know.

Hiya Trent your two months are up... any news? :)

Cheers, GD.

DrChile

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
Ha! Thanks for the reminder.
I actually forgot about it - I think I might have to open it this week!
I'll let you know!

:D

Trent

Ananke

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
I have a 6 month old parm from 20ltrs that has shrunk quite a bit and is pretty solid, I joked that I'll probably end up with a big rind, I didn't realise that this really was a possibility  :o

When I read this thread, I vacuum packed it but now I'm not sure if I've done the right thing.

Any advice welcome.

margaretsmall

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:46:12 AM »
I made an 8l Romano and vacuum  packed it after a few months. When I opened it after about a year it was nicely ripened, not too much rind, grated well. I've got a parmesan maturing away in plastic now. I know that's not the way parmesans are ripened, but at such a small size I reckon its the best way to go.
Margaret

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:40 AM »
I've got a romano I made March 6th, 2011 from a 10 L make, but I have yet to cut into it.  It spent a long time (well over a year I think), just in the ripening box.  Could be all rind, could be fine!  It's never had any mould problems.  It's now in a vac. bag., but that was probably hopeful thinking. 

- Jeff

GlabrousD

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:38:37 AM »
Not fair! Now both Trent and Jeff are keeping us in suspense. Photos and tasting notes please! :)

Cheers, GD.

DrChile

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
When I get back from my conference (next weekend).
I. will. open. it.

probably.

maybe.

:D

Trent

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 11:35:33 PM »
Hey guys, if a parm is all rind just grate it and eat it. LOL  It's still a great parm!  ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 02:49:26 AM »
Al,

That is my plan!  In fact, as I made it to be a grating cheese, all rind isn't a problem for me personally.  I've just opened a 1/4 of my first Montasio wheel (it was vac bagged ages ago).  Made it June 19th, 2011.  It's still moist, grates well but is not a solid rock, I was quite surprised actually.  Just grated a bunch of it, along with some of the bitto, and cut up some feta too.  Mixed that with some cream of mushroom soup and creme fraiche and use all that as the sauce for a casserole (spiral pasta, minted peas, roast pork, cauliflower, carrot, etc).  Will be going in the oven to bake soon.  :)

- Jeff

Here's a photo of the piece after I've cut off a chunk to grate for the meal. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:44:54 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 03:54:54 AM »
Sounds fantastic Jeff... Too bad you live so far from California!
Susan