Author Topic: My first cheeses  (Read 10413 times)

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • default personal text
My first cheeses
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:54:17 AM »
OK firstly Thank you.... thank you..... thank you..... this forum inspired me !!!!!!

I have enjoyed myself so much since I signed up with the forum....I had a good read again and then thought I have to just go for it...it always seemed like some dark art!!!  :o

So I followed Deejaydebi's recipe to make a cheddar (thank you it is really easy to follow)...so now I just have to wait......

Let it dry for 3 days and then waxed it

and then another one!
....and 2 Gouda's (this is the first one)

and 2 lots of Ricotta which have come out quite well too.

I haven't got into the technicalities.... I couldn't tell you what the humidity is....but I have 4 cheeses that look like cheese (time will tell if they taste like cheese  ::)......and a big bowl of Ricotta so I am a happy camper at the moment.

Thank you  :)
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing and makes you walk funny

JeffHamm

Re: My first cheeses
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:59 AM »
Hi,

Well done!  Those look like really nice wheels.  I'm especially impressed as they are first tries, and cheddars can be tricky to get sealed.  What brand of milk are you using, or do you have access to raw milk?  You'll find lots of good advice and tips here. 

- Jeff

Tobiasrer

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:22 AM »
They look amazing! Great job

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:04 PM »
Awesome, awesome and awesome. Good job Shadey.

It is dark art only when you start making blues  ;D

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:03 PM »
Thank you for the comments :D

Hi,
Well done!  Those look like really nice wheels.  I'm especially impressed as they are first tries, and cheddars can be tricky to get sealed.  What brand of milk are you using, or do you have access to raw milk?   - Jeff
Thank Jeff....I have access to raw milk which is great (although we have now pretty much decided we are going to get a house cow in the near future)..We're pretty much decided that we are going to keep going with making our own cheese so want to get self sufficient with it as much as possible....when you stop and look at how expensive cheese is here in NZ (as you will know) it's a bit of a no brainer really (well it is if you are into this kind of lifestyle)

As for the seal ...are you talking about the wax? If so I can tell you learnt my lesson there..waxed the sides first... then had the devils own job trying to wax the top and bottom as they turned into slippery little suckers!! Note to self there is a reason that cheese is dipped on the top and bottom first ;D

Awesome, awesome and awesome. Good job Shadey.

It is dark art only when you start making blues  ;D

LOL...I was only talking to a friend of mine who makes cheese (she makes lovely tasting cheddar style cheeses) about blue the other day and said I was thinking about giving it a go - the air went blue (excuse the pun) and she then said I could take her culture because she was done with trying!!!....now question (I know this may not be in the right section) ......could the culture be dodgy and that's why it's not working?...in which case if I am going to have a go do I get my own culture do you think?

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:30 AM »
Shadeydaze, looks great! Many people have a tough time waxing, me I find oiling easiest then vacuum bagging, for cheeses that you want to seal.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:09:24 AM »
Great job Shadydaze. You've made some very nice cheeses and right up front. Looks like you are a natural and I am honored you tried one of my recipes as your first cheese. Maybe I brought you some luck I have always found making cheese easy albeit a time consuming hobby.

A cheese for the newbie on a roll!

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:39:14 AM »
Hi Shadeydaze,

Great that you've got access to raw milk, that should result in much nicer cheeses.  I should have said knit rather than seal for the cheddars, they can be tough to get to knit properly and there are often lots of openings for mould to grow in.  You look to have got a very nice knit though.  As for waxing, I brush it on with a hair basting brush (don't use a plastic one, they melt).  You can pick them up for 3 for $2.00 at various $2 shops. 

- Jeff

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • default personal text
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 08:59:03 PM »
Shadeydaze, looks great! Many people have a tough time waxing, me I find oiling easiest then vacuum bagging, for cheeses that you want to seal.
Thank you John...it was OK the first time I waxed it this way but the cheese gods obviously thought I needed to be taught early on (and I am a good listener!!)  :D
As an alternative though the oiling and vacuum bagging is something that sounds great....what oil do you use - olive? (I have some lovely first press oil I would happily donate to some cheese)...if you oil and bag this way is it then treated the same as after waxing?

Great job Shadydaze. You've made some very nice cheeses and right up front. Looks like you are a natural and I am honored you tried one of my recipes as your first cheese. Maybe I brought you some luck I have always found making cheese easy albeit a time consuming hobby.
A cheese for the newbie on a roll!

Debi - thank you for the recipe !- It was easy to read and it worked (can't say better than that can you!?)....so for the first time of making cheese it gave me the confidence to go on and try again. My colleagues at work are all now laughing at me because I have become a little cheese obsessed .....I think you have unleashed my inner cheese monster ...Thank you  ;D

Hi Shadeydaze,
Great that you've got access to raw milk, that should result in much nicer cheeses. 
- Jeff
They came out looking like wheels of butter...they are soooo yellow...time will tell whether they taste good... I will be patient...I will be patient LOL!

This weekend we are possibly going to pick up a Jersey cross heifer calf...it makes it a longer term project as with the sheep but it's a start...all plans have to start somewhere eh?

I just realised the cheeses are thumbs up...DOH I thought it was for how many cheeses you had made.....how thick am I !!?   ::)

I can't believe how excited this has got me...poor hubby is now planning another cheese press so I can do multiple cheeses...bless him.

Corina

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
Waw, how nice, they look perfect to me , a beginer >:D
It makes me get some more courage...
Can you please put on the link with the ceddar? I read so many interesting things here I am confused, saved a lot of interesting links to read....this forum is like an enciclpeadia but with nice people.

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • default personal text
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
There you go Corina...hope it works for you  :D

http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/TradditionalCheddar.htm

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »
......could the culture be dodgy and that's why it's not working?...in which case if I am going to have a go do I get my own culture do you think?
Since no one ventured in here, I would say you might be better off selecting your own blue to culture off of. Hers might be rank. And if you go to the trouble and expense of making a cheese, you want to have some assurance that you have started with good ingredients. Better safe...than sorry.

Nice cheeses, by the way, Shadey .

As for waxing, I brush it on with a hair basting brush (don't use a plastic one, they melt).
Please pardon my ignorance, Jeff. For some reason I got a mental image of something to baste turkeys with, but it wasn't a brush.  ::)  What is it?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 02:01:56 AM »

Please pardon my ignorance, Jeff. For some reason I got a mental image of something to baste turkeys with, but it wasn't a brush.  ::)  What is it?

-Boofer-

Ummm?  A turkey baster!

- Jeff

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • default personal text
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:34 AM »
......could the culture be dodgy and that's why it's not working?...in which case if I am going to have a go do I get my own culture do you think?
Since no one ventured in here, I would say you might be better off selecting your own blue to culture off of. Hers might be rank. And if you go to the trouble and expense of making a cheese, you want to have some assurance that you have started with good ingredients. Better safe...than sorry.

Nice cheeses, by the way, Shadey .
-Boofer-
Thanks for that Boofer...I was pretty much thinking that...so new culture it is for me  :)

Things have moved on with my longer term plans to have my own supply of raw milk.....
Meet Lily.....

She has a little way to go but in a couple of years she is going to be our house cow...as for now she is very small and very cute.

Cloversmilker

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
Congrats on Lily!  In a couple of years she'll give you milk for wonderful cheese.