Author Topic: repurposing fruit screw press for cheese making?  (Read 5186 times)

meganp

repurposing fruit screw press for cheese making?
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »
I'm still new to cheesemaking, but am really enjoying the process. I'm trying to figure out a press option better than my jury-rigged plank and 5-gal buckets mess. I already have a Ferrari 5L fruit press for the cider making.(http://www.wineworks.co.uk/images/product/med_stainless_press1222676908_17.jpg

Question: is there a way to use this for cheese pressing without making any alterations to it? I know I could wing it, and just eyeball the pressure, but I'd rather have reproducible results. Of course, need to be able to take any alterations off of it to re-convert back to cider pressing. I could create a guide for pressure, but is that a straight "pounds the scale measures" deal? As in, if I stick a scale on the plate, and it reads 54#, then do I generally have 54# of pressure on the cheese at that turn ratio? Or would smaller-diameter cheeses get more pressure at the same "position" because they've got smaller square inches exposed to the pressure?

Thanks,
Megan

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 36
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
Re: repurposing fruit screw press for cheese making?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
All you need to do is to add a 50lb coil in between the SS follower in the picture and mould follower and screw down as you loose the pressure from time to time. You can stack a bathroom scale under it and adjust pressure if there is space for it.

Cloversmilker

Re: repurposing fruit screw press for cheese making?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »
You have the press that I used for years quite successfully without any additional equipment.  That is; I have never had any way to measure pressure with it.  I'll be returning to it when the dutch style press that I have on loan goes back to its owners.  IMHO this fruit press is significantly better than just about any of the screw presses marketed for cheese.  Not as good as a decent dutch style press, but it does have attributes.  It is a really solid piece of work.  You can crank it down as hard as you physically can, and you don't have to worry about anything on it popping or breaking. Also, the top plate stays level.  No slanting cheese from weights tumbling and sliding in the night.  You can use the stainless steel basket for a mold, and the top plate as a follower.  The top plate on mine is not stainless steel, so I cover it with plastic wrap when I am using it for a follower.  The main disadvantage is that, as all screw presses, constant pressure is not maintained on the cheese over the course of a press.  IMO this is more of a flaw than being unable to measure pressure.  So much of the knit of a pressed cheese is determined by what happens before the curds go into the mold.  If you are using this press regularly, you will get a feeling for how hard to crank it.  You could do much much worse for a first press.