Author Topic: Hello from Cincinnati  (Read 2015 times)

valereee

Hello from Cincinnati
« on: February 03, 2009, 12:22:10 PM »
Hi!  I'm Val, from Cincinnati.  I've been making cheese for a few months now and just started making hard cheese.  The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know, and a lot of what I don't know seems not to be covered in various books.  So I thought I'd come online and find some other people who are talking about cheese. 

Val

wharris

Re: Hello from Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:31:52 PM »
Welcome!  I am a fellow buckeye from the other end of I-71.

Wayne

valereee

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
Hi, Wayne! 

We've just started a cheesemaking club down here -- we couldn't seem to find one already established -- so if there are others here from the SW Oh/SE In/NKy area, we're at

http://groups.google.com/group/cheesemakers

or on Facebook (search for Ohio Valley Cheese Guild.)

I was glad to find this forum and Rich's.  At this point most of us are complete beginners, so finding others online that we can talk to about issues we're having is great!

Val

Val

Captain Caprine

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:05 PM »
Hi Val,
Welcome to the forum.  I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.  What cheeses have you made and already and what is your next project?
CC

valereee

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
Hi, CC!  I've made paneer, cottage cheese, ricotta, mozzarella, fromage blanc, and right now I'm working on the Farmhouse Cheddar from the Carroll book.  I've made it three times and am about to make it again today, will make it again on Saturday for a demo for our club. 

I just discovered a couple of days ago that I've been pressing it at the wrong weight!  I hadn't really been thinking about the issue of pounds/sq inch, and I had been using a 6" mold when I believe the recipe (without actually coming right out and saying it) assumed I'd use a 4" mold.  So I pressed my first three Farmhouse Cheddars at something under half of what was specified.  Since I'm doing this demo Saturday, I decided I better make one more before then so I can try it with the correct mold before the demo.  Hope it turns out I like it, as I've now committed about $80 in raw milk!  :D 

I'd like to work on the cottage cheese again.  I've made it three times.  The first time, I heated it too quickly and the curds were pretty tough, although it was still very good.  The second time it turned out really well, maybe slightly undercooked.    I figured the third time was the charm, but the third batch I messed up badly -- don't know if it was the milk (which was a week old) or that I cut the curds too small or overstirred them or simply didn't have a clean break when I cut them, but it was very mushy.  Tasted fine, but the texture was off enough that I really wasn't interested.  The dog was very happy with the turnout, though. 

I'd also like to work on the mozzarella.  I made the 30-minute mozzarella from the Carroll book and the first time it turned out great -- maybe slightly tender, but really very good.  The second batch was dismal -- tough and yellow, as if I'd cooked it.  Again a happy dog.  I'd like to try a traditional recipe for it rather than the microwave version, so I've been looking for a good recipe and think I'll use Fankhauser's next. 

And then of course I'd like to try some hard cheeses other than the FC, which btw I think is a great first pressed cheese for a beginner.  You get through almost the entire process (up to the final pressing) in about 3 1/2 hours, and it's a really good one for figuring out how to control temperature.  I'd eventually like to try a swiss and a brie, as those are the big favorites here at Chez Val, but I think a little more practice with less demanding recipes is called for first.  :D

Tea

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
Hi Val and welcome to the forum.  Great to see that you have tried such a variety of cheeses.  Keep us posted.  Would love to know what is involved in the demo that you ae doing, and how it turns out.  Some pic would be nice too.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »
Hi valereee, welcome to the forum and congrats on all the cheeses!

Probably a bit late now but when I originally set up this forum I also thought about Regional Cheese Clubs or Associations where as Admin of this forum/website, I could set up a separate Board for them with limited Members, Emails, Newsletters and Calendars.

I could also set up daughter boards by country and area if anyone is interested.

Just an idea for others if they are interested.

PS: Let your friends know about CheeseForum.org, the more the merrier.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 10:29:10 PM by Cheese Head/John »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 12:57:34 AM »
Welcome. Cheesemaking club, great idea. I might have to steal your idea and start one here.

valereee

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »
Tea, the demo is pretty much the entire recipe from the Carroll book -- I'll have the milked warmed, and at noon I add the starter.  People are welcome to show up any time from noon on, and we'll (hope to) finish by 4.  I probably will only coordinate the process, as the people who are attending will do as much of the hands-on stuff as possible.  Assuming we manage to stay mostly on course, we'll use the whey for a ricotta too.  The demo will end when we put the cheese into the press for the third pressing.   

Likesspace

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:06:35 AM »
Val...
You sure do get around, don't you!  :D
I'm so happy that you found this site.
I've been here a couple of months and I can tell you that you will find what you are looking for here.
This is a very active forum and the friendliest bunch of people you will ever "meet".
Glad you came over from the other board.

Dave