Author Topic: BCites  (Read 5700 times)

Threelittlepiggiescheese

BCites
« on: February 23, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »
How goes it! Does anyone know a local *southern van island* cheese making supply place? i have been searching high and low and am not finding a thing!

Islandchomp

Re: BCites
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:30:39 AM »
I haven't had any success myself when I did a hunt for places in January. I can confirm that there are no places in Nanaimo that even sell junket rennet.

I have contacted Natural Pastures and Qualicum cheeseworks to see if they sell any of their cultures. Unfortunately, they do not.  :'( The one place I haven't checked with is the Ecoreality group on Salt spring island to see where they get their supplies from as they make feta but most likely they get it shipped in and don't sell it.

I've had to have all of my stuff shipped. I recently bought a bit from thecheesemaker.com but I'm going to place a good sized order from Glengarry next.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:36 AM »
http://www.charellis.com/charellis.html these guys have junket rennet but nothing else at all

Tobiasrer

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 05:13:10 AM »
I ordered from Glengarry in Ontario, as I like that its in Canadian dollars so no extra converstion fees etc they were great an dvery friendly and helpful on the phone!
Also they are a bit more limited on small qautity specialty stuff but danalac in Airdrei alberta is good as well, all my stuff has always shipped great with no issues.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 03:36:39 AM »
I'm making a quick two day trip tomorrow and the next day over to vancouver / richmond, any good cheese stores I should hit up?

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
Yep, Bosa Food Store for Italian cheeses, on Commercial Drive the Mediterranean Store for Feta's and Tyropites. Also across street a couple blocks away on corner on West side I think was a nice cheese store with many Italian cheeses. Let us/me know if you find more.

Red

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
A bit late I know, but you can get liquid rennet, meso II culture and calcium chloride at Gourmet Warehouse in Vancouver.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
I will have to hit up Gourmet Warehouse for that calcium chloride next time im over there!

Red

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 12:25:55 AM »
Calcium chloride shouldn't be hard to find on the island, it's used for making homemade pickles.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:36 AM »
I must be looking in all the wrong places :/

dthelmers

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:45:57 PM »
Sometimes sold as "Pickle Crisp", look for it with the canning supplies.

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 09:51:14 PM »
Thank you, ill have to poke around some more