Author Topic: Making . . . . . . Shushi!  (Read 4529 times)

Cheese Head

Making . . . . . . Shushi!
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:38 PM »
This thread has nothing to do with cheese!

Last week when my folks were visiting from Vancouver Canada my Dad showed me how to make Sushi Rolls, regular and California Style! The rice was too sticky as we got the water ratio wrong and thus rice was too thick and we didn't have enough ingredients but I was very happy with my/our first ever try and tasted great ;D.

saycheese

Re: Making . . . . . . Shushi!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:04 PM »
John,
The sushi looks delicious.  If you can find one-- there is a special wooden sushi rice mixing 'barrel'/bowl with a copper band around it, that you put the sushi rice in to mix with the rice wine vinegar and mirin. You are supposed to fan the rice as you stir it to cool to get rid of any excess moisture (but you probably know all this so I am preaching to the choir).  I've tried doing this myself but it really is a 2 person operation -- I'm just not that co-ordinated -- it feels alot like patting your head while rubbing your stomach.  My husband grew up in Japan and is really particular about his sushi, but my stepson says 'Linda's sushi rules!'

Linda aka SayCheese

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
Linda, thanks for the praise on my first try, presentation skill wasn't great.

I bought the special rice and rice wine vinegar and mats but I have no idea you are supposed to fan the rice or that you use a special rice mixing bowl oe what mirin is . . . looks like I'm going to have to do some reading, thanks for the ideas especially as you have great info from your husband!

Maybe in our house one day I will hear "John's sushi rules"!

saycheese

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:10:04 AM »
John,

Mirin is a sweet rice wine.  Many times it is already in the rice wine vinegar if your rice wine vinegar says it is seasoned.  One Japanese cookbook I really like is The Joy of Japanese Cooking by Kuwako Takahashi -- she gives great instructions and the book is loaded with beautiful pictures of Japanese food. Enjoy!

Tea

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 11:27:27 PM »
Well done John, sushi is a favourite of the kids here.  You can make it with rice paper too, for those who find the nori too much.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:27:38 AM »
Good job. I love sushi I just don't like tabico, don't know how to spell but the small orange fish eggs, to me they are like grit and get between my teeth.

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »
Tea thanks for the idea on rice paper as our 15yo scraped everything off the seaweed.

Carter, now I gotta make some with that, then we would be one big happy smiling family :D.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:02:34 AM »
Great job John! Suchi is very tricky to make at first your Dad must be a good teacher. They look lovely.

Jaq

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:20:34 AM »
I love making sushi! Some ingredients that I have found that I really like (especially since sushi grade fish is hard to come by and $$):
- frozen, pre-cooked shrimp
- already fried white fish from your grocer/fish market

plus these others:
- banana
- honey

Enjoy!
Jaq

susanne

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 02:16:26 AM »
very nice looking sushi.
rice needs to be very stick y to make it work. next time, you might want to put a water bowl next to you and dip your hands in.  no more sticky rice on your hands or utensils ;)