Author Topic: Coffee Roasting  (Read 27947 times)

anutcanfly

Re: Coffee Roasting
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2012, 01:27:10 AM »
Your welcome Beans!  Post your results and pictures sometime.  It's fun to share the experience. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2012, 01:30:19 AM »
Whoever started this thread - thank you.  I just tried some home roasted coffee and it was fantastic.   I started with Papua New Guinea beans from Burmans.  Roasted it in a our old popcorn spinner and the brew turned out great.  Cant wait  to try a few others.
Thanks again
B

I really love those guys!

anutcanfly

« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2012, 02:12:48 AM »
I'm pretty happy with Burmans too.  His beans and prices are very good.  I can understand his descriptions reasonably well too!  Some people get just a little too fanciful for me to understand!

I decided  to try Blend#2 again with different beans at different roasts:

10% Monsooned Malabar
20% Sumatra FTO Gayo Tunas
20% Brazil NNO
10% Colombian D.P.d. Tolima
20% Tanzanian Peaberry

Batch 1 french       ok but not exciting
Batch 2 vienna       Doug said yech
Batch 3 espresso   didn’t try yet
Batch 4 full city      not horrible, but not good either

This batch was not smooth and chocolaty

This leads me to believe that Doug and I do not like lighter roasts and they should only be used for a highlight coffees like Columbian when you want to add some acidity to a blend.

Sumatra’s will likely require an Espresso Or French roast to be palatable, and or an extended roast to reduce mustiness (18 min.?).

I also learned that with dark roasts, the beans you use do matter.  This batch did not have the smooth chocolates that the first roast of blend #2 had in abundance.

Blend #2 All Dark, 1st roast-espresso--smooth and chocolaty!!

10% Indian Monsooned Malabar
20% Sumatra Gayo Mandheling
20% Brazil Fazenda Aurea
10% Colombian Huila Valencia Supremo
20% Tanzanian Kigoma Kanyovu Coop Peaberry

I keep searching for a flavor that's missing.  As I have enjoyed dark oily roasts all my life, I'm guessing I need to roast at least some of the beans even darker.  So just for fun I decided to roast a sumatra I didn't like and take it all the way to an Italian roast (60 seconds into the thick smoke).   I'll brew it in a few days and see what I think.  It may be a good blender to get some of the flavors I'm missing.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2012, 03:31:13 AM »
I've pretty much decided I like all the coffees very dark a few seconds past oily.

anutcanfly

« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2012, 04:09:14 AM »
Surprising isn't it?  I've been calling a few seconds past oily (the thick smoke) Espresso? No one seems to agree on what roast when! To listen to Sweet Maria talk, you would think all beans are the same after Full City and hopelessly burnt! 

Using the smoke for a guide is working pretty well.  The thick smoke doesn't happen until the oil starts to rise to the top of the bean.  So you really don't have to worry about where in what crack you are as you can easily count out from the thick smoke that begins some time after 2nd crack begins.  The Temperature probe showed 370-381 degrees for 30 to 60 seconds into the thick smoke.  I'll try to remember to notice and write it down in the future to see if it's a reliable indicator.

Beginning of thick smoke = Espresso

30 seconds in thick smoke = French Roast

60 seconds in to thick smoke = Italian Roast

Caseus

« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2012, 06:55:54 AM »
I've been roasting coffee since last September.  I use a Whirly Popper also, just like anut.  I do mine outdoors on a propane stove.  I drilled a hole in the lid for a thermometer.  The thermometer measures air temperature, not bean temp, as it isn't touching the beans. 

I heat the Whirly Popper to 400 degrees air temperature, then dump in the green beans, start my timer, and start slowly cranking.  I just listen for first crack and second crack. 

I try to hit first crack between 6 and 7 minutes.  First crack will go on for about a minute and a half.  Then I aim for another couple of minutes to get to second crack.  I'll dump and start cooling at the very first sign of first crack for City+ roast, about 15 seconds in for Full City, 25 seconds for Full City+.   40 seconds gets me to Vienna roast, but I will cut the fire off at Full City+ and just coast another 15 or 20 seconds for Vienna. 

I don't go any darker than Vienna, normally.  It depends on the bean.  Full City+ seems to be my favorite roast level for most beans.  I used to be a huge fan of  French roast coffee, but since I started roasting my own, I've found that I prefer somewhat lighter roasts.  I can taste a lot of things at lighter roasts that I can't taste in a French or Vienna roast. 

I like to roast two half pound (actually 8.35 oz) batches back to back in the Whirly Popper.  That'll yield me about a pound of roasted coffee, which lasts me six days.  I often blend beans from multiple sources, unless I have a single origin that is just outstanding.   

anutcanfly

« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
Hi Caseus,

Yes, I was expecting to enjoy lighter roasts and was surprised I haven't so far.  I haven't given up though.  There are a lot of variables that factor in besides the beans and roast.  The grind and the extraction also make a big difference in the flavor.  I've only been able to pull 15 seconds per double load which would give me very under extracted coffee.  So I'm not getting a good picture of the beans and roasts I've been trying.  I've decided to invest in a burr grinder so I will have more control over the final flavor.  Eventually I'll get a better espresso machine, as water temp's important and mine is automatic, but a good grinder seemed more important.  I'll try to make a point of making strong drip coffee of each batch in the future as poorly pulled espresso magnifies problems and overwhelms my taste buds.

How do you like your whirly pop?  I'm pretty happy with mine.  I like the control it gives you to speed up or slow down a roast at any point in the process.  I can't control the total roast time as well though.  The outside temp and wind can change things quite a bit, so I tend to get a range of 12-15 minutes.

Which single origins have you found to be outstanding?

Caseus

« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »
I like my Whirly Pop just fine.  It does a great job, and as you say, it gives you plenty of control since you can raise or lower your heat or move it off the burner to keep your temps in range.  I just let it cool then wipe it out with a dry paper towel after each batch.  I wash it only when accumulated grunge starts flaking off the underside of the lid. 

The only thing I don't like about it is the small batch size.  I'd prefer to do 3 or 4 pounds of coffee at a time, and freeze it in 1/2 pound quantities (in a pint mason jar) after 2 or 3 days of degassing.    One of these days I'm going to buy an RK Drum and convert a barbeque grill to a coffee roaster.  That should also help reduce the effects of wind, which as you said, can alter your timings from one day to the next.   I try to roast when it's not windy, but that's not always possible.

I get all of my green beans from Sweet Marias.  My favorite to date has been Guatemala Bourbon Finca San Diego Buena Vista.  The 20 pounds I bought is nearly gone, and there is no more of it available to buy.  At least, not from the most recent crop.  Mexico Organic Chiapas Proish Coop was another I liked as an SO.  Again, there is no more of it available.   Panama Las Flores de Boquete was one that was not clean enough to suit me as an SO, but when I blended it with an Ethiopian Yirga Cheffe and a little Sumatra Tarbarita Peaberry, it made a great morning cup.  El Salvador Santa Ana Naranjo made a great espresso.  I roasted it Full City. 

The only problem I find with Sweet Marias is that they get fairly small lots of usually exceptional coffee.  Often by the time you find one you really like, they're sold out.  So now when I see a new one that has a review that appeals to me, I order a pound and try it.  If I like, it, I'll place a larger order of 5 to 20 pounds, depending on how I plan to use it.

I'm still relatively new to home roasting, so I wouldn't consider myself especially knowledgeable.  But so far I have found that I prefer a clean cup, so I gravitate to South American coffees, which tend to be cleaner in profile than African or Indonesian coffees.  However, I really love a good low-acid Sumatran for the rich body it provides, so long as it doesn't have a moldy character.  Some do.  And I like some Kenyan and Ethiopian coffees if they aren't overly floral.   By and large, when I blend, the base will be South American, and I'll use small amounts of Indonesian or African coffees to round out the blend.

anutcanfly

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2012, 09:36:09 PM »
Thanks!  It nice to hear what others find good in beans.  I was a little disappointed to go thru the listings and find out much of what I wanted to try was unavailable thru Sweet Maria's.  Between Bruman's and Sweet Maria's I think I found enough variety to play with for a while.

I have the reverse problem as you.  I have some many beans/blends I want to tinker with that I'm going to have to do smaller batches.  It would be my luck that the bean/blend I fall in love with will be out of stock before I can order more!

What type/s of coffee do you drink?  Espresso, French press...??

Caseus

« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2012, 09:54:52 PM »
I drink espresso, french press, and drip mainly.  I have two sizes of French press pot.  I have a Cona vacuum pot that I use occasionally, and a couple of Turkish pots that I use rarely.  I use an Aeropress from time to time.  My espresso machine is a Vibiemme Domobar Super HX espresso machine, and it is need of repair at the moment.  My drip pot is a Technivorm Moccamaster.

What styles and preparation methods do you like, anut?

anutcanfly

« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2012, 10:39:12 PM »
Pour over and espresso, but I'm very curious about trying French Press and Turkish coffee.  I rarely make pour over coffee anymore except for camping.  It's hard to get it strong enough so it doesn't taste like flavored water.  I was using a stove top expresso maker, but didn't like the burned taste and found myself always adding cocoa to hide it.  I received a Mr Coffee espresso machine for my birthday,  and as far as I can tell it works fine, but the whirly blade grinder I've been using just can't do the job right.  So I never get a good long extraction.  The grinder I have on order (Baratza Virtuoso Preciso) will grind any style I want, superfine to very coarse, so I though it would be fun to try some new styles. 

Caseus

« Reply #101 on: April 02, 2012, 12:21:50 AM »
You are going to love that Baratza grinder.  I have the Vario.  It has a huge adjustment range, and it grinds the coffee perfectly without heating it up.

I also have a couple of stovetop Neopolitan style pots.  My impression of them matches yours.  The coffee tastes overcooked. Not really like a good espresso.  I don't use them anymore.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #102 on: April 02, 2012, 01:58:15 AM »
Some coffees are best lighter but we seem to like alot of the daeker ones. I like somewhere between a full city and a vienna roast on most of my beans.

anutcanfly

« Reply #103 on: April 02, 2012, 03:12:29 AM »
I was careful, will a few exceptions for highlights, to pick only beans that withstood dark roasts... just in case! I'm hoping that the problem is really just not pulling a good shot.  I've been trying to figure out where I going wrong and based on what I've been reading, a 15 second shot is too short and the resulting coffee sour/acidic.   So I will try every thing I didn't like, beans and light roasts, again when my new grinder comes as that may make all the difference.  In the meanwhile I'll just brew pour over coffee... I should have been doing that anyway to better evaluate new beans.

I am excited about my new grinder!  440 settings from Turkish to French press!  Almost no fines and very little residual grounds left in the grinder.  That really bugged me.  A lot of grinders had that problem, which defeats the purpose of grinding your own. I don't want a part of yesterdays grind in today's shot!

anutcanfly

« Reply #104 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:43 AM »
I tried the Sumatra I roasted to an Italian Roast.  I think that was overkill, but it will be great for blending.  French Roast is my outside limit for drinking by itself. 

I had fun playing with my new grinder this afternoon.  I still have not found the balance between grind, dose, and tamping.  My shots are still too short, except of one that I tamped to hard and it stopped the flow early.  I tried adding a touch of sugar to one and the flavor is excellent, so I think the blend is fine.  The shots are just too acidic and they shouldn't be, so I just need a longer pull to bring out the caramels.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Any more caffeine in my system and I'll bouncing of the walls all night!