Author Topic: Coffee Roasting  (Read 27606 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Coffee Roasting
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
Or you might trip on boxes of spices, beans, presses, grinders, stuffers, etc. and such that extend slightly into the walkways. I have a very small house and to many hobbies that require lots of stuff!

anutcanfly

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 09:34:02 PM »
 :) I gave up on having a tidy house along time ago... I'm a hermit any way, so who's going to notice or care?

anutcanfly

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 01:10:24 AM »
A nice snowy day here.  Good time to roast!  The snow was very helpful for cooling beans quickly.  I decided to roast each type of bean separately:

Indonesian Gr. 1, Sumatra Tabu Jamu - Full City Roast
Brazil Bob-O-Link  - Vienna Roast
Brazil Fazenda Aurea - Espresso
Colombian BCT Premium Huila - Vienna Roast

I am starting to get the hang of it.  I wanted to take the Colombian farther into the 2nd crack, but I couldn't see well enough thru the smoke so it got pulled a bit soon.  I'm not always sure when 1st or 2nd crack actually begins so it's difficult to just count into it. 

Saturday begins with sampling each type of bean as is, then mixing the roasts in different proportions.  I will likely be bouncing off the walls with the amount of caffeine I am likely to have!  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:31 AM »
Don't they look and smell good enough to eat? Don't though I was seduced into eatting one by the mesmerizing aroma and they are not good to eat and get stuck in your teeth!

Let me know about the Brazil Bob-O-Link and the Brazil Fazenda Aurea haven't tried those yet.

anutcanfly

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 05:55:06 AM »
Will do.  I've eaten a few myself, still do, particularly when they're covered in chocolate.  :P

anarch

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
They look amazing!

I'm so ordering some beans today. :)

anutcanfly

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
Some hobbies are contagious.  ;D  Good luck!

What is your avatar anarch?  Fur or plant? 

anarch

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Some hobbies are contagious.  ;D  Good luck!

What is your avatar anarch?  Fur or plant?

Fur :).  Technically wool.  That is my sheep Eliza's wool covered in frost one cold morning. 

I decided to let my husband pick which varieties of beans to order since he's the true coffee lover in the house!

anutcanfly

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
Sheep?  Are you milking her?  I still keep hoping to find sheep milk close by here.

anarch

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »
Sheep?  Are you milking her?  I still keep hoping to find sheep milk close by here.

Not that sheep ;).  I got into sheep for lamb and wool (I'm a handspinner/knittter) and my original flock was a rare breed fancy colored wool/meat breed.  This past Fall though, I did buy 3 sheep that are intended to be milked. 

I have two E Friesian/Dorset cross ewes (that look pregnant!) and one 75% E Friesian/25% Lacune ewe (who is still pretty little, probably won't lamb til this summer) that I do hope to milk starting late Spring/Summer.  When I first started making cheese, sheep milk cheese was my goal. 

So...we'll see how it goes!  I do love having sheep though.  Tasty lamb, wool, and hopefully milk soon too.  I have one of my ewes that will probably be lambing any day now, I'll post pics in the aminals forum. 

anutcanfly

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
Awesome! It's deeply satisfying doing things for yourself!  Are you sure you're going to be able to eat sheep after raising cuddly babies?  I got some adorable chickens (polish) for meat and eggs.  My sweetheart fell in love with them and swore off eating chicken.  I don't think I better keep any fish, or we won't be able to eat fish any more either!  ::)  Look forward to seeing pictures.  :)

anarch

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 10:05:22 PM »
Ah well, yes.  We've had sheep for about 5 years now and have been eating our own lamb for about 4 years.  It really is amazing.  But, I don't actually do the butchering myself, can't.  We do butcher birds ourselves though (chickens, ducks, turkeys so far).  I end up selling ewes for breeding stock every year or keeping them, but the ram lambs end up in the freezer.  The lambs are amazingly cute.  I'm really excited for lambing! 

anutcanfly

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:52 PM »
It's the boy's that are the problem.  I was hoping to have goats, but I'm worried we will be hip deep in them.  I won't be allowed to eat the extra boys or sell them to people that might eat them! Since the girls have to freshen each year it could be a fiasco in no time! I love my Sweeties tender heart, but sometimes it's very inconvenient!

anarch

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:43 PM »
LOL yes, farming is about the only arena where the males get the short end of the stick so to speak!  If you can't eat em, yeah.  I have some neighbors with goats and they can't do that either so they end up selling them and pretending they don't know the end fate of the boys. 

MrsKK

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2012, 03:12:26 PM »
So I started reading this thread, thinking that I was just beating myself up - I LOVE coffee, but can only drink about a cup of the real stuff per day or I don't sleep.  If I don't sleep, I get mean and sick...

So, torturing myself even more, I looked up  the Burman's site...to discover that they sell decaf green beans!  Yipppeeee!  HOOO-RAH! And the prices are so much better than the whole bean prices at Sam's Club.

Home-roasted coffee, here I come!