Author Topic: Coffee Roasting  (Read 27676 times)

anutcanfly

Re: Coffee Roasting
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
A couple of guys in my old crowd figured that out pretty well.  They had regular routes of places to show up around dinner and get a free meal.  About once a week I could figure on having an extra at the table!  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
I hae a friend or two that does that all summer long. Don't see them much in the winter though. I always know I will have guests for dinner on weekends though and I don't have meals at regular times it's just when I get around to it. BAD I know.

anutcanfly

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Not bad at all. Living by a clock is no fun!  For that matter, I've been known to serve breakfast for dinner as I don't eat in the morning, but I love french toast and pancakes--the real kind... whole wheat sourdough, buttermilk type, not the tastless Denny's variety!  I would truly be unhappy if I started to have issues with bread and milk.  Allergy's can start up anytime as we get older!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2012, 09:24:50 PM »
I do the same. Can't eat in the morning I have to be up for serval hours before I eatand by then I am at work. I often make breakfast food for supper especially omettes and that sort of thing. This was supper a few days ago.

anutcanfly

« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
Oh yeah, that works for me!  :P 

I'll try remember to take a pic of my favorite omlete or quiche dinner.  I go a little overboard on stuffings!  I've always considered omletes and quiche to be fair game for any meal of the day.  I use potatos to form the crust of the quiche to avoid the way too fattening normal pie crust.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Yeah me too my omelettes always end up looking more like burrittos as you can see but I love carmelize onions and they take up half my space! I like to use mashed tater for crusts too because I like that carmelized tater starch edge it seem more like a breakfast food to me for some reason. Sometimes I will used shredded tater instead of mashed and it looks like it's sitting in a birds nest if you lightly spray them with butter or oil and prebake the taterbed.

anutcanfly

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 01:10:35 AM »
I haven't tried mashed potatos, that sounds good.  I'll give a go on my next quiche... sweet potatos I think...

I slice potatos thin like for chips and then rub them with olive oil and spices.  Then I layer them around the pie plate and prebake for 20 minutes.  Red or Yukon potatos work well for this.  I have found that if I cut up spinach enough, I can really pile it high (11 ounces of spinach), and it will wilt down to a nice thick layer.  I add cheese and other veggies in between layers of spinach so they blend and hold together well.  The hard part is getting the eggs and milk to pour into the pie (I add this in layers too).  The pile of spinach tends to shunt it onto your counter!

I'm munching on 9 grain and honey bread I just pulled out of the oven.  The 1/2 cup of 9 grain cereal makes for a denser loaf, but it is so tasty, paricularly after a long ferment, that you will easily forgive it for not rising higher.  There are few things to compare with fresh roasted coffee and bread fresh out of the oven.  s'cuse me theres another slice dripping with butter and calling for my attention...  :P

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 02:31:57 AM »
Ooo slices never tried that. I precook and drain my greens before using them in a egg pie and dice them up small. Can't use to much becuase I am the only one that loves greens in my house. Weird huh?

Your bread sounds great! I love a grainy, nutty bread!

anutcanfly

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
I grew up on canned veggies, so It took me awhile to realize veggies could taste good!  My Sweety didn't like all sorts of veggies when we got together, turned out that his problem was that he had been steaming everything. 

Spinach is one of the difficult ones.  If cooked too long it ends up looking and tasting like canned spinach!  The challenge for me has been to wilt it just enough to reduce the volume, but not totally cook it so it remains bright green.  I haven't figured out how to do this for fisherman's pie, but give me time and I'll figure it out!

Yum, that's a good idea!  I'll put some nuts in the next one.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 06:43:13 PM »
Anut -

Wash your greens then just shake them dry and nuke them covered with a papper towel for just a few minutes (depending on power). Pour off any water that accumulates and lay them in whatever you are making. They will wilt and stay ever so green and still have body and texture and will not soggy up anything you add them too. I do mushroom that way too because they can get really wet when baking.

anutcanfly

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 08:35:25 PM »
Thanks Debi!  I'll try that method.  My sweet loves spinach on pizza and that should work well.  Though the GF crust I use now will stand up to just about anything!  A good thing as I overload pizza's as well.  :)  We are having omelets tonight, I'll try to remember to take a picture.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2012, 12:45:10 AM »
What's a GF crust? I am so bad at these abrieviation things! Look forward to seeing your omelette!

Found a new thing to do with coffee grounds! Make fireplace logs! I want to try it in my smoker.

anutcanfly

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2012, 04:58:06 PM »
??? fire place logs?  Do they smell nice when burned? 

GF is short for gluten free. 

Here's my favorite omelet...  ;D  Goat cheddar was really good in these, but any sharp cheese is nice.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
Oh that looks good! You are wose than I am about over stuffing - although I think that would be good for two meals maybe!  ;)

I don't know how the coffee logs burn I am very curious though. Never hear of it and apparently it is something new on the market. Found it talked about on a Green Home site and it looked interesting. I may try making a few puck sized one for the smoker to see how they work. I'll let you know. It before work if I waste all my molases!

dthelmers

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:49 PM »
Coffee smoked bacon, that might be good...