Author Topic: PLA v's ARN  (Read 3206 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
PLA v's ARN
« on: February 26, 2012, 05:05:19 AM »
I am just wondering why I would choose ARN over PLA?

PLA has some DH in it that ARN doesn't.  My understanding is that DH is basically used to reduce surface pH which helps the cascading establishment of the other organisms in the mix.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

NVD.

iratherfly

Re: PLA v's ARN
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »
PLA is more traditional Savoie type of rind and is more aromatic and less yellow... ARN has two strains of B.Linen, light and dark. I use both for different cheeses. A matter ot taste in my opinion (though switching between them in a similar recipe may also help you troubleshoot affinage and find out which works better).

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
Thanks for that.  I am playing around with making a washed rind out of a goat milk cam.  I am hoping for a nice strong colour so I might start washing with ARN.  What do you think about throwing in some CUM?  I notice it creates fruity/pear/banana flavours which could be interesting to try.

NVD.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:41:27 AM »
Hmmm, I would use R2R instead. Will give you as crazy pink color and meaty style yeasty aroma like trappist beer. Maybe R2R with some pure B.Linen, Geo 13 and PC-VS. On a goat's style Camembert that would give you a Chevrotin-like consistency and interesting flavor.

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »
wow.  I yearn for the day when I can relate culture types to final cheese flavours!

Would you throw these cultures in the mix at make or just wash them on after?

NVD

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
Either way. You can use them as a wash, use them to inoculate the vat - or do both.

I feel that if this is a bloomy or washed rind cheese it may be a waste to put it in the milk (especially if you are making large batches) and spray or wash should be enough. Having said that, some of the yeasts in these may be active in the paste of the cheese and continue to create a small amount of gas and aroma so sometime it may be helpful to put them in the milk too, but there are other yeasts for that, so I use PLA and ARN just for surface treatment.