Author Topic: An attempt at Jarlsberg  (Read 8494 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: An attempt at Jarlsberg
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
No don't open it! After about 3 weeks warm then put it in the cave for a week or so then bag it if you can. Then I would wait about 3 months minimum.

BethGi

We have HOLES!!
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
I finally opened and cut into my Jarlsberg that I made about six weeks ago. I had had a few bits of bluish mold that I shaved off after its first few days of aging (previous posting -- was it yeast-related from baking?). But no further signs of that and though it did not swell too much, the vacuum bag (not fully vacuumed) did show signs of gas inside.

And when I cut it open, I was SO delighted!! Nice flavor, and FAB holes. Not bad for my second try at a swiss-type cheese, if I do say so myself.

Not as beautiful on the outside as Scasnerkay's (I am gobsmacked by that one!), but still a joy to eat.

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »
Excellent!  A cheese to you.  Now, make another and let it age for 3 to 6 months.  It will be worth it.

- Jeff

BethGi

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
Thanks. I generally do let things age, but I wanted to taste one that was just finished for comparison. I have re-bagged 3/4 of it and vacuumed and placed in my 'cave' ....curious to see if the flavor changes at all on those parts if they sit a bit longer (though now they are back at a lower temperature, of course -- no more holes for them!)

anutcanfly

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:22:20 PM »
That's a beautiful cheese Beth!
  What size is it?  How much PB did you use? What method did you use to develop the holes?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
WOW!! that did turn out very nice, I can now see one in my future makings, Great job.
I am with you, I have to try the first one early and then get busy building another so second will age longer  :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

BethGi

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 08:24:06 PM »
I followed the Amrein-Boyes recipe, more or less, using 4 gals. of milk (a  mix of organic and not, 3-1/2 gals whole and 1/2 gal skim). I used a bit over 1/4 tsp. of priopionic bacteria. My main problem while making the cheese was that I didn't have a 4 gal. pot, so was working across two containers, and measuring the PB and rennet is less exact when I work that way. But as I have observed on earlier posts,I am a firm believer that exactness has its limits, especially when one is pursuing a craft such as baking or cheesemaking.

The pots did get hotter than recommended during the initial warm-up. So I had to let the milk sit and cool down a bit before adding the starter/PB.  (The good news is that I now have an induction cooktop, which is instantaneously responsive -- but the bad news is that I don't have a 4 gal. pot for use with induction.)

I also pressed a bit more then the guidance: 20 lbs. for 14 hours prior to brining. And, as mentioned earlier, into a vacuum bag in lieu of waxing.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 11:21:25 PM »
Nice looking Swiss.

I imagine working across two milk pots was a bit of a challenge. Time to invest in one big pot.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 01:56:38 AM »
I love how your cheese made so many holes! Mine is in waiting mode in the cave. I take it out to sniff it every day because it smells so good! I am aiming for opening it in about 4 weeks, which would make it about 8 weeks from the make...  I ordered a foodsaver, so if I open it and want to hold part for later, I could try bagging it back up. I can almost imagine the taste based on the smell test though!!
Susan

Helen

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 02:23:32 AM »
Nice cheese! I think it is a success.

Try to age it a bit longer next time!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 02:51:36 AM »
Nice cheese Beth! A cheese for the cheese!

BUT next time don't touch it!

knipknup

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 04:37:48 AM »
Wow. Beautiful! Cant wait to see how Susan's turns out

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 10:20:54 PM »
For Mother's Day, I decided to open the Jarlsberg made 2-26-12, my first attempt at a cheese with holes! I was concerned that with a make only using 2 gallons, that it might be too small, but as you can see, I got holes! I managed to save about 1/3 of the cheese from the family, to re-seal in the vacuum bag, and wait a little longer to try another taste. But it was very good, smooth and nutty, though a bit squeaky!
Susan

knipknup

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:45 AM »
and a beautiful cheese to you!

anutcanfly

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:40 AM »
Nice eyes, it looks delicious.  Congrats on your first Swiss!