Author Topic: An attempt at Jarlsberg  (Read 8489 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
An attempt at Jarlsberg
« on: February 27, 2012, 02:18:33 AM »
I am in the pressing phase of my first cheese with PS following the recipe in Artisan Cheese Making. I think my pH meter may not be functioning correctly, because though the make has progressed along just fine, my pH meter keeps reading no lower than 6.5. So either the acid level is developing more slowly than I expect, or is it broken?

Jarlsberg –type cheese
2 gal non-homoginized whole milk, pH 6.7
1 pre-measured packet Thermo C (ST and LH) about ½ tsp
1/8 tsp ps
¼ tsp calcium chloride
1.75 ml calf rennet

12:00: heating in heavy bottomed pot on diffuser plate over low flame
12:30: temperature at 92 degrees
12:38: done stirring in cultures, resting at 92 degrees for about 45 mins
1:35: done stirring in calcium chloride and rennet (each diluted in ¼ cup water)
Flocculation at 14 mins, clean break at 49 mins
Curd cut about 3/8 inch and rested 5 mins.
2:30: Temperature 90 degrees, pH 6.6
Stirred gently for 20 mins, with flame as low as possible to bring it back to 92 degrees.
3:05: Whey removed to level of curd, replacing with 140 degree water to bring to 100 degrees
3:45: Temperature now 108 degrees, pH still says 6.6
I think something might be wrong with the meter, because the curd feels ready. It is squeaky, and readily wants to knit together when I stop stirring. So I go ahead with draining the whey.
Pressed in mold in whey for 10 mins with 10 #
Removed from whey into standard press with 10 # for 30 mins, and meter now says pH 6.7
Meter re-calibrated
Cheese flipped and re-dressed and pressed with 20 # for 1 hour.
Cheese flipped and re-dressed and pressing with 30 # for I am not sure how long to go....  pH is 6.5 then 6.6.
9:00: Getting anxious because I would like to go to bed at some point. Now at 40 # to try and get some whey to measure and I am now at 5.9 pH.
10:15: Time for bed, so it had to be done pressing. Last pH measurement 5.7, weight 2# 2oz. Into the brine for 7 hours.
Next evening weight 1# 14oz

So my main question is regarding the pH... Should it have been so slow to drop? In comparison to Anut's recent posting on Jarlsberg, this seemed very slow.
Next question... If the meter was accurate, what can I expect with this cheese given the pH at into brine?
Susan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:29:25 AM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: An attempt at Jarlsberg- swelling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:59:05 PM »
The cheese has been in the "cave at about 50 degrees for a little over a week. I just oiled the rind, because it seemed a bit dry. I notice that the top and bottom of the cheese are bulging a bit. It seems like now would be the time for me to take it out of the frig, to about 70 degrees, but for how long?  And how do I need to monitor the rind at this time?
Susan
Susan

anutcanfly

Re: An attempt at Jarlsberg
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:37:42 PM »
I'm new at this, but I would leave it out 3 weeks.  The rind needs to be developed enough to hold the CO2 in, but not so dry that it can't expand without cracking.  Last time I vacuum sealed it while it was out, and this time I'm keeping it in a container at 85% humidity and oiling the rind to keep it from getting to hard.  This is something you'll have to feel your way through and see what's best for you.  Sailor and Luxinboy have discussed this in great detail on a thread called "My Baby Is Swelling Up".  Give it a good reading and post again as needed. Good Luck!  :)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:41:47 AM »
My little "Jarlsberg" has been sitting in a warm place, using a heating pad to raise the temp inside a container with water for the humidity. The cheese started sweating, so I opened the lid a little. Some condensation on the under side of the lid remains. The cheese wants to grow mold, so I have been wiping it down with brine and salt. It smells really good after almost one week, and is a little swollen. I think if I am to let it go 3 weeks I will really have to keep an eye on it. It now weighs 1#11 0z.
Susan

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:05:49 AM »
I put mine in a bag after about 3 or 4 days but didn't vacuum much and it stayed nice and pliable.

anutcanfly

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
That looks great! Your going to have great eyes!  8)

anutcanfly

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:45:41 PM »
I just noticed time and quantity.  You used 1/8 tsp for 2 gallons milk, and it swelled up pretty quick.  Yes, I think you will need to keep close watch!  Putting it back into a coolness of your cave, to slow it down, might not be a bad idea!  Vacuum packing it would help keep it from blowing as well.   

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
For 2 gallons, what would be the appropriate amount of PS to use?
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:35 PM »
I'm working off Sailors notes, and though he started at 1/8 tsp per 5 gallons, he later revised that to 1/16 tsp per 5 gallons.  He found that small cheeses needed far less.  He's spent a lot of time perfecting his swiss cheese's, so I'm going with his advice at first... Later who knows? I never could resist tinkering!  :)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:55 AM »
Now at 8 days at about 70 degrees, my little cheese is swelling, and sweating! I need to wipe it almost every day with salt and brine to take the mold spots off.
Susan

anutcanfly

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
Wow! Look at it go!  Crossing my finger and toes for the little guy!  :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »
If it doesn't blow it shoulld be nice!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:01:49 PM »
Looks like it will be a sweet Swiss.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »
I think so - even with smaller eyes it would be nice. I don't like store bought deli swiss but I do like it homemade. My favorite so far was the Uruguay version of swiss - the Queso Colonia.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
My cheese is puffy, soft and sweating. And it smells really good! No more mold growing on the outside of it this past week which is a little odd I think. It is almost 3 weeks since I put in in a warm place (about 70 degrees) and so I think it must be time to put it in the cave again. Now what?  Wait another 3 to 4 weeks before opening?
Also, a general question about swiss types... If they have already swollen, should they stay at the warm temperature for about 3 weeks anyway? Is that for flavor development as well as eye development?
Susan