Author Topic: mushy feta  (Read 2721 times)

Leasa

mushy feta
« on: November 16, 2011, 03:41:00 AM »
I'm about to make fresh batch of feta this wekend.  I always have problem with it going soft. 
I have read all the posts about salting and drying first, and i already do that.  I also put c/c in brine plus adjust ph.   Must be doing something wrong.  I always make goat feta, not sure if that makes any differance?
Thanks leasa

Offline fied

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Re: mushy feta
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:21:38 AM »
I dry feta for 48 hours before brining. The brine is made of the feta whey, which usually has enough calcium, salt and acidity to match the cheese. If it doesn't (if the cheese starts to soften), or if you use a water-based brine, add in some calc. chlor. and some vinegar or citrus juice at about 1 tsp per gallon of brine.

Goat feta is usually softer than that which I usually make with a mixture of cow and goat milk.

Leasa

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
Thanks Fied.

Gee you must be nice and cold  up there this time of year.  Merry xmas.
left the cheese as block instead of cubes last time and had no probs with going mushy.  (i also left in the dry salt stage for 8days)
Cheers Leasa

T-Bird

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:43 AM »
So far, I'm 4 for4 making successful fetas that taste great and don't soften in the brine. I use the recipe on fiascofarm.com. I use cow's milk from the store. The recipe calls for hanging the curds overnight at room temp, then cutting into cubes, salting and aging at room temp 72 hrs before brining. I use the whey for the brine instead of the water the recipe calls for. I use ph strips to tell me when the whey is acidic ( ph below 7) I try to wait till the strips say that the ph is around 6 then I salt and refrigerate till brining the cheese. The salt level is 1/2 cup Kosher salt per half gallon whey. I think this is 8-9% brine. I let'em sit for 30 days before using (in the fridge) have fun, T-Bird