Author Topic: Fogger - condensation on walls?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Fogger - condensation on walls?
« on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:18 AM »
Hello all,

I've only had experience using a fogger when I used a 3-head, I think it was, from John at Perfect Cheese. This was for my dedicated, 600 c.f. cave and it worked really well.

After tweaking towels in water, hanging from door racks, etc., I went with the US humidifiers, cool-mist of the type you often find in a child's bedroom.  Outside of cleaning regularly, and buying DI water, worked pretty well.  I can't recall if it got me up to my need - up to 98% - but very close.

I now have a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P91ZFPA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, 1 head.  I don't have the float, which seems necessary.  I've just been tweaking to see how it works in my (35 bottle) wine cooler; thermoelectric.

As all times I've played with it, a boatload of fog.  Struggling past 90%, reaches a maximum of 90.8-91%.  That doesn't really bother me as I think I can bring in accessory help to get to 96%, my highest.  What concerns me more is the massive amount of condensation on the walls.  I've always faced it, of course, but this is ridiculous.  I burn through a ton of water (as in, I at this rate, several additions per day, ever couple of hours - and what about nighttime?), and it seems logical as to why.

Is this unique to a fogger?  Anyway have this issue, and if so, did you cure it?  I'm thinking of just returning to the cool mist (I don't recall seeing this kind of fog, a good thing).  Any thoughts, much appreciated.
- Paul

cheesehead94

Re: Fogger - condensation on walls?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 12:00:12 PM »
If 96% humidity is your goal I think wall condensation is going to be unavoidable. I don’t know that from experience though, just a hunch.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 01:20:51 PM »
Is it possible that your walls are cooler than your air?  Or maybe is it possible that our old cave had warm walls?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll have to think on this.  I'd thought it was due to the fogger technology itself, but I don't think it can be that, as I've used it before, well.  Thanks for your posts, getting me thinking.

Meanwhile - I'd say, this is exactly what I'm getting.  It's like Dracula's Castle once the fogger kicks in, the inside is just bathed with it.  Unfortunately the youtube is in Dutch (cannot do) and French (can do), so I can't pick up what she's saying, but right about starting at 3:09, this is close to what I'm experiencing.  I see they're floor is wet and they have an arched ceiling....so condensate rolls down the ceiling onto the walls onto the floor, presumably.

This is a "tomme" cave, with very low O2 exchange wanted (mold based tomme, not washed rind), so I'll have to figure out how to capture the condensed water.  Maybe direct it into a shallow sand pan?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:27:56 PM by ArnaudForestier »
- Paul