Author Topic: Puero Rican Hookers: A cheese and a shot that might get me shot...  (Read 8088 times)

mightyjesse

My husband is a bar owner. As a result, I hang with lots of bar tenders. This is bleeding into my cheese-making reality in the form of cheeses based on mixed drinks... I have a new experiment aging in my cave now... It's based on a shot progression called a "Puerto Rican Hooker." (I don't name the drinks. I just steal the recipes.) The "drink" is a shot of tequila followed by a shot of pickle juice. It's like tequila with drinkable training wheels. It's very, very popular here.

On that note, I made a caerphilly, and during the cheddaring phase, I added tequila to the curd. During the brining phase, I used acid whey as the base and added dill pickling spices to the brine, and soaked my cheese in what amounts to a fermented pickle brine... Now the cheeses are aging in my cave for a month and a half... If this comes out as well as the "Irish Curd Bomb," I think I may have found my niche as a cheesemaker...

;-)

I'll keep you posted...

dthelmers

Re: Puero Rican Hookers: A cheese and a shot that might get me shot...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:06 PM »
Nice! This line of work has some real interesting possibilities. Maybe a Dark and Stormy cheese?

anarch

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:06 PM »
Interesting!  I'll be watching to see the final progression of this one. 

I can see a cranberry vodka white stilton...

T-Bird

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
I'm sorry, I just can,t ignore a thread that has "puerto rican hookers" as part of it's title ;D but the idea for the cheese,  is interesting.

mightyjesse

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:18:39 AM »
We just cracked one open for my husband's birthday last weekend! I think we can safely call it a successful cheese! One to be repeated on request, even! The tequila flavor doesn't really come out until the cheese has been unbagged for several hours to breathe, but the flavor mix is pleasing and even tastes a wee bit like the drink!

Threelittlepiggiescheese

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
Congrats :D now you just need to produce and sell to the bars in town for their burgers and nachos and whatnot :P i.e. Joe's Big Burger with Irish Curd Bomb cheese

smilingcalico

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:04:49 AM »
Lol, omg, that sounds awful, I almost threw up thinking of tequila and pickle juice. The name however is hilarious! I'm glad you enjoyed it though.