Author Topic: Chevre - Vacuum Sealing Recommendations  (Read 3451 times)

Offline george13

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Chevre - Vacuum Sealing Recommendations
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:45:02 AM »
I was curious in knowing if any one uses this technique for storing chevre, or has used it on a commercial scale.  My concern is the release of excess water while under vacuum when removing 99.9% of all air.  If I were to set the chamber at say 75% air removal, would that lessen its life considerably and keep its shape when under seal? Thanks

Tomer1

Re: Chevre - Vacuum Sealing Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
1)I would imagine the cheese will be crushed as its soft.
2)its high in moisture and whey will release and promote yeast and off flavors.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:02:36 PM »
There are mold formed vacuum sealers that use specially shaped containers to preserve the shape of the cheese or other food and not crush it. Expensive equipment.

iratherfly

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
I am with Sailor on this one. However, you can do this if your cheese is not too soft and wet and if you can use nitrogen. The idea is to vaccum the cheese, inject nitrogen into the vacuum pack and re-seal it. Store it very cold (just above freeze). This is how they ship cheeses from abroad.

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
Innert packaging is very expenssive but Im sure a DIY guy could work something out.
You can essentially fill a sterilized plastic bag with nitrogen or aragon and heat seal the gas inside.

iratherfly

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:59:59 PM »
You use a nitrogen bottle like the one used for hiking (get it in sports shops). Connect the hose to a needle like the one used to fill basketballs or inject brine into turkey. You vacuum the cheese, then you inject the plastic package with with it quickly on the corner. As you take the needle out, tape/fold the corner so no oxygen goes in and put it in the vacuum sealer to seal (seal only function, no vacuum - don't suck  out the nitrogen). There you go.

Tomer1

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:04 AM »
It might be so overpriced there that its better to buy a small pressure tank\canister and fill it in a welding or medical gas store.

smilingcalico

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
I once vac sealed a container of Chevre, no lid. I kept it for 4 months with no issues.