Author Topic: Cultures, substituting Chevre packet for Fromage Blanc packet  (Read 4298 times)

anarch

I have several packets of Chevre starter from cheesemaking.com.

I just used up my last packet of Fromage Blanc starter.

I have no access to goat milk right now, but plenty of raw cow. 

When I look at the ingredients they list on their website for each, the bacteria strains listed for each are the same, but in unknown proportions.

Has anyone ever substituted the chevre in a cow milk?  Results? Known differences between the two packets?

I have shifted in general to ordering cultures from a different source, but I have these leftover and would like to use them up.

I would use the same method as I normally use for sucessful fromage blanc. 

linuxboy

Re: Cultures, substituting Chevre packet for Fromage Blanc packet
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »
Yep, do it, comes out differently, of course, but still tasty.

anarch

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:09 PM »
And so hard to tell what the actual ration of each bacteria is in those little packets!  Which, is why I switched to a different source for cutures now I've done more cheesemaking.

But, I will try it, I have some milk to use up and that's all I have for fresh cheese culture right now.  That and a mother culture pack I'd have to innoculate. 

Not sure if I want to make a hard cheese or two given that we're going out of town for 4 days in a week. 

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
IIRC, the ratios are almost identical but the strains differ, so flavor and texture are different.

anarch

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
Interesting, because from the description:

Chevre:
"CULTURE INCLUDES: lactose, (LL) lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, (LLC) lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, (LLD) lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis, microbial coagulant enzyme"

Fromage Blanc:
"CULTURE INCLUDES: Lactose, (LL) lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, (LLC) lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, (LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis, microbial coagulant enzyme"

Which looks identical?  Unless the strains are even more differentiated than that, just not noted?

I also have this:
Fresh (needs to be turned into a mother culture):
"CULTURE INCLUDES: Lactose, (LL) lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis, (LLC) lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris, (LLD) lactococcus lactis subsp. biovar diacetylactis, (LMC) leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris"

Which does actually look different, and I'm toying with using.  But more for a cream cheese type cheese.

linuxboy

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
Strains does not equal species. You can have the same identical species, and the strains are so different as to produce different textures and flavors

Look at it this way... we are all the human species. But some of us are short, some tall, some have darker skin colors, some lighter... some have large thick bony frames, others are more svelte. Bacteria are similarly different among strains within a species.

anarch

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »
Ah ok, I didn't realize that they had differentiated specific strains this way!  Very cool.  Have to love the science of the cheese.

anarch

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I ended up trying it, yes still very good :).  It does taste slightly different, more tangy, but in a good way.  Also seems creamier, but that is likely due to 2-3 hours shorter draining time than normal and perhaps more cream on the gallon of milk that I used. 

gjfarm

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
I also had some C20 in my frreezer from when I had a milk cow.  I contacted Ricki and she stated the C20 and C20G were interchangable.